Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default Reading unreadable IC printing.

Just had to use my tip I invented a while back. This time a SIL IC with the
lettering side of the IC 2 mm from a large block cap. Would have required 3
hours taking boards apart and back together to desolder just to read.

Used a 1mm steel rod covered with some turns of PTFE for the "rubbing" and
pulling a length of PTFE around the IC through the gap to take the image. I
urge everyone to give it a try, so it is impressed on memory for when
needed, its just like magic

How to read unreadable IC/transistor lettering
Yes, just like magic.
I could not read 3 of the 5 characters on a heat damaged TOP66 power
transistor.
I wondered if a sort of "brass rubbing" would work.
I just happened to have some plumber's PTFE tape to hand ( nominal 0.05 to
0.08 mm thick).
Laid a piece over the power tranny, rubbed with a finger nail, and the
missing characters
came up like magic.
As the characters remained on the PTFE, as an image , I realised you could
use this technique to read IC lettering where it is imppossible to read,
because of constrictions and inability to introduce an inspection mirror or
even just
where you cannot get the illumination at just the right angle to read.
You need access space enough to introduce a piece of PTFE and then rub it
with the wooden end of a small artist's brush, or similar, wrapped in some
of the PTFE, so it rubs easily without dragging.
Don't rub too firmly because you want the relief print to show as clear and
the rest of the PTFE becoming translucent rather than the original white.
Remove and read with a backlight or against something matt black. Maybe a
couple of attempts to get a clear image in all parts of the label.
May even be worth trying on reverse-engineering-proofed, rubbed off, IC
lettering. Useful for indistinct moulding logos /
lettering etc on small plastic parts, gives some contrast.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:54:32 +0100, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

This has to be one of the most useful tips I've seen in a long time.
Thanks again for refreshing my memory.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
[...]

Second that. Immensly usefull. Thank you N Cook.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

People have also used Silly Putty to read invisible characters, but your
idea is handier as we are more likely to have tape in our kit...

Thanks!

John :-#)#

N Cook wrote:
[...]

www.flippers.com

TIP: How to read unreadable IC/transistor lettering N Cook Electronics Repair 2 December 17th 07 05:51 PM
Microwave digital display unreadable tenplay Home Repair 7 January 24th 07 12:51 AM
miicrowave digital display unreadable tenplay Home Repair 3 October 11th 06 07:02 PM
Printing on card R.P.McMurphy UK diy 36 April 16th 06 06:10 AM
Printing Schematics n cook Electronics Repair 7 April 2nd 06 01:12 PM