Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to release the vacuum in a CRT safely

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AshTray700" wrote in
lkaboutelectronicequipm
ent.com:

http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ctronics.repai
r/ More information at
http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

drive a small screwdriver blade into the hole in the end of the CRT socket.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in message
"AshTray700" wrote in
lkaboutelectronicequipm
ent.com:

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

--
Message posted using
http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ctronics.repai
r/ More information at
http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

drive a small screwdriver blade into the hole in the end of the CRT

socket.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Same advice but I first make a hole in the removed outer casing and pass a
small diameter steel punch , through it, and onto the that spot, a pip on
the end of the neck of the CRT. The covering just in case what should be
just a snmall hole should become a big hole - I've never experienced it but
is a possibility.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

and place the screen surface down on cardboard , not concrete, before
knocking the hole in

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:34:45 -0500, "AshTray700"
wrote:

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

Ummm... put the CRT inside a few layers of plastic trash bag before
releasing the vacuum perhaps? If it breaks, at least it doesn't make
a huge mess.

Managing Cathode Ray Tubes
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/upload/HWM_FS_CRT-EmergencyRegs.pdf

I used to take the old CRT's out to the desert for target practice.
(This was in the 1960's before ecology was invented). In most cases,
I just punched a hole in the funnel area and did not catastrophically
implode. So, with the supreme overconfidence of an 18 year old, I aim
for the face of a large round CRT from about 5 meters away. Upon
firing, I was showered with tiny particles of broken glass. I also
saw the electron gun flying over my shoulder. Fortunately nobody was
hurt.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AshTray700 wrote:

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

ha, something long and heavy. Line it up to the end of the neck where
the plug goes on, look the other way and swing!

Works every time!

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AshTray700 wrote:

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

--
Message posted using

http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at
http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Do wear eye protection before doing this !

Just run a triangular file across the neck near the base connector and
tap with the file, using it like a hammer. The glass will crack and
air will leak into the tube.

This is the standard method of cracking and removing the old gun
assembly prior to replacing the electron gun and restoring the vacumn.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AshTray700" wrote in

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

Bust it over David Watts' head.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
AshTray700 wrote:

[...]

Tape a Crow Scarer tightly to the tube neck light and retire.

It works for me!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Curtis Brown" wrote in message

"AshTray700" wrote in

I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

Bust it over David Watts' head.

You know what? This guy's just trying to be funny. Hey Curtis, why don't you
go suck a dick, you asshole.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in :

and place the screen surface down on cardboard , not concrete, before
knocking the hole in

it should just take a tap,anyways. the pip is pretty thin,IMExperience.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWast...mergencyRegs.p
df

I used to take the old CRT's out to the desert for target practice.
(This was in the 1960's before ecology was invented). In most cases,
I just punched a hole in the funnel area and did not catastrophically
implode. So, with the supreme overconfidence of an 18 year old, I aim
for the face of a large round CRT from about 5 meters away. Upon
firing, I was showered with tiny particles of broken glass. I also
saw the electron gun flying over my shoulder. Fortunately nobody was
hurt.

while in a USAF PMEL lab,I saw a guy trying to tap loose a stuck scope CRT
from a 500 series scope on a cart,and launched the CRT out the front like a
torpedo,and it burst and threw glass all over.No one was hurt,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AshTray700 wrote:
I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one

implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

We let the vacuum out of old CRTs by puncturing the anode terminal
with a sharp ice pick (actually a ground down Xcelite 'greenie') and a
light tap. No broken glass and it feels cool when you put your finger
over the anode terminal. Don't know about other tubes as all we have
are Sonys.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
AshTray700 wrote:
I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one

implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

We let the vacuum out of old CRTs by puncturing the anode terminal
with a sharp ice pick (actually a ground down Xcelite 'greenie') and a
light tap. No broken glass and it feels cool when you put your finger
over the anode terminal. Don't know about other tubes as all we have
are Sonys.

Back when I were a yoof, and elf 'n' safety legislation was just some petty
bureaucrat's eye-twinkle, we just used to take 'em outside, and remove the
whole neck with a well-aimed kick ...

Happy days ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You shouldn't breath/inhale whatever is inside of those tubes.
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

wrote:
You shouldn't breath/inhale whatever is inside of those tubes.
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

Yeah, vacuum is dangerous to...uh, breathe?

You can see what it did to him.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of

those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

And all those bad things are still _inside_ the tube after the vacuum
is let out. Or do you thing that the bad stuff escapes with the
vacuum?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a bunch of old long flourascent light bulbs I want to get rid
of.I reckon I will call that Waste Management phone number 601 - 960 -
0000 and ask them what to do about them.
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am not an expert.They say Nature abhors a Vacuum.

So, I don't know,,,,,, Turn that vacuum loose,,, and what then comes
out?

I don't believe there is any such thing as a perfect vacuum, (other than
politicians) even in outer Space.
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of

those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

And all those bad things are still _inside_ the tube after the vacuum
is let out. Or do you thing that the bad stuff escapes with the
vacuum?

Vacuum escaping...kind of like where the cold goes, don't you think?

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Whatever,,,,, I am fixin to email that woman in Linz,Austria.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
wrote in message

There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of

those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

And all those bad things are still _inside_ the tube after the

vacuum
is let out. Or do you thing that the bad stuff escapes with the
vacuum?

G�

Vacuum escaping...kind of like where the cold goes, don't you

think?

Leonard

That _was_ the point ;-)

Maybe I need to go buy another gallon of vacuum. Lowe's or Home Depot?

G²

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have an old vacuum pump.It looks sort of lind of like a big pnumatic
motor.It works too.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

Vacuum escaping...kind of like where the cold goes, don't you

think?

Leonard

That _was_ the point ;-)

Maybe I need to go buy another gallon of vacuum. Lowe's or Home Depot?

You are about 75 years too late. Shysters used to sell 'Replacement
vacuum' toy make your 'tired radio sound better'. I have a scan of one
of their print ads on another computer, along with other money making
radio scams.

A vacuum pump is the first stage in removing the air from any tube,
and is followed by a diffusion pump to create the required hard vacuum..

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Computer users must be white listed to request to reply to WebTV users.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I own a half acre of land in Interlachen Lakes Estates, Putnam
County,Florida, seven miles West of Palatka.I wonder how I can safely
release the vacuum out of there?
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Swing a piece of wood or a hammer across the neck while looking the
other way .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Leonard Caillouet wrote:
wrote in message

There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of

those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

And all those bad things are still _inside_ the tube after the

vacuum
is let out. Or do you thing that the bad stuff escapes with the
vacuum?

G�

Vacuum escaping...kind of like where the cold goes, don't you

think?

Leonard

That _was_ the point ;-)

Maybe I need to go buy another gallon of vacuum. Lowe's or Home Depot?

G²

I've got some homemade vacuum here. Want some?

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

wrote:
Leonard Caillouet wrote:
wrote in message

There are toxic phosphors and lead and the boogy man in some of
those
CRT tubes.
www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm
cuhulin
Sarah Palin Rocks!

And all those bad things are still _inside_ the tube after the

vacuum
is let out. Or do you thing that the bad stuff escapes with the
vacuum?

G�

Vacuum escaping...kind of like where the cold goes, don't you

think?

Leonard

That _was_ the point ;-)

Maybe I need to go buy another gallon of vacuum. Lowe's or Home Depot?

G²

I've got some homemade vacuum here. Want some?

jak

I see that you're still trying to unload that used vacuum from dead
tubes on the rubes. ;-)