Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default How to release the vacuum in a CRT safely

wrote in message
AshTray700 wrote:
I have a huge CRT that i need to stabalize so it can be removed and
trashed, ive left them in the garrage under vacuum and had one

implode
into 1000's of glass shards, is there a way to vent air in without
breaking it all to pecies?

We let the vacuum out of old CRTs by puncturing the anode terminal
with a sharp ice pick (actually a ground down Xcelite 'greenie') and a
light tap. No broken glass and it feels cool when you put your finger
over the anode terminal. Don't know about other tubes as all we have
are Sonys.

Back when I were a yoof, and elf 'n' safety legislation was just some petty
bureaucrat's eye-twinkle, we just used to take 'em outside, and remove the
whole neck with a well-aimed kick ...

Happy days ... :-)

Arfa