Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neutral-earth short in Bionaire air purifier

A Bionaire air purifier with ionizer works fine in a location without
Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB = RCD, RCCB, GFCI, GFI, ALCI), or
with an isolation transformer, but trips the ELCB immediately if
plugged in with an ELCB. Resistance between neutral and earth varies
between 40 to 80 ohms. Is there any most obvious culprit before I open
it (e.g., radio interference suppressor capacitor; motor shorted to
frame)?

By the way, when the purifier got plugged in and tripped the ELCB a
"wall wart" 5V 2A switching power supply (for WiFi access point) died
at exactly the same time - is this something others have had? I've not
seen it before. I doubt it's coincidence.

Best wishes,
Michael [Email address above no longer valid (used to be)]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I asked about an air purifier with neutral-earth near short-circuit.

Franc Zabkar wrote:

If not the cap, then maybe a leaky MOV ?

Good point, will check.

motor shorted to frame)?

I've seen a short between the neutral and earth terminals of a
refrigerator compressor. It only came to light because the owner was
using an extension cord where the active and neutral were reversed
(there was no ELCB).

Sounds the same sort of thing I've got. If it's actually a shorted
winding it'll mean changinf the motor (or scrapping the unit).

Thanks, Michael (original poster)