Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Neutral-earth short in Bionaire air purifier

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:58:48 -0700 (PDT),
put finger to keyboard and composed:

A Bionaire air purifier with ionizer works fine in a location without
Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB = RCD, RCCB, GFCI, GFI, ALCI), or
with an isolation transformer, but trips the ELCB immediately if
plugged in with an ELCB. Resistance between neutral and earth varies
between 40 to 80 ohms. Is there any most obvious culprit before I open
it (e.g., radio interference suppressor capacitor;

If not the cap, then maybe a leaky MOV ?

motor shorted to frame)?

I've seen a short between the neutral and earth terminals of a
refrigerator compressor. It only came to light because the owner was
using an extension cord where the active and neutral were reversed
(there was no ELCB).

- Franc Zabkar