Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default As we get closer to digital

I have noticed more & more still on the air analog channels are skipping
, breaking up into squares or stopping compleatly leaving a black strip
with the words ``poor signal`` on it over & over during the program .
This is all station errors & problems .
As for digital tv sets or convertors I cant receive digital on anything
portable very good without constantly fighting the antenna . The ones
that do come in are pretty nice though .

What junk ! i hope they fix this as time goes on

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:49:57 -0600, Ken G. wrote:

What junk ! i hope they fix this as time goes on

The technology or the programming?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote in message
I have noticed more & more still on the air analog channels are skipping
, breaking up into squares or stopping compleatly leaving a black strip
with the words ``poor signal`` on it over & over during the program .
This is all station errors & problems .
As for digital tv sets or convertors I cant receive digital on anything
portable very good without constantly fighting the antenna . The ones
that do come in are pretty nice though .

What junk ! i hope they fix this as time goes on

Whoever "designed" the compression/modulation/demodulation/decompression for
digital TV should be shot.

Ancient analogue system ,perterbation sequence with progressively worse
signal/interference

snow on picture - can stay with the plot
loss of colour - can stay with the plot
breaking up of b&w pic - cannot really stay with the plot
loss of sound - lost the plot fully

Bells and whistles modern digital , perterbation sequence

breaking up of sound - lost the plot already
loss of moving sections of image - lost the plot previously
intermixing of parts of static frames - lost plot previously
"no signal"

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 21, 11:02*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
snip
Whoever "designed" the compression/modulation/demodulation/

decompression for
digital TV should be shot.

Ancient analogue system ,perterbation sequence with progressively

worse
signal/interference

snow on picture - can stay with the plot
loss of colour - can stay with *the plot
breaking up of b&w pic - cannot really stay with the plot
loss of sound - lost the plot fully

Bells and whistles modern digital , perterbation sequence

breaking up of sound - lost the plot already
loss of moving sections of image - lost the plot previously
intermixing of parts of static frames - lost plot previously
"no signal"

I take it COFDM in the UK has its shortcomings like 8VSB in the
States. I've been watching over the air digital in southern CA coming
up on 5 years now and have no issues with breakup. I'm 35 miles from
Mt. Wilson with a modest antenna split 4 ways to a Samsung HD receiver
and 3 computers with ATI HDTV Wonder cards, one of which is recording
right now. As for the 'plot' many deserve to be lost - at least over
here though some of the UK shows on PBS are pretty good. The last 3
times I've seen the 'no signal' message was when KCBS-DT went off the
air last fall and KNBC-DT 2 times in the last week. I believe KNBC was
a planned outage to do some upgrades and not a failure. I.E no signal
was _really_ no signal.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
Whoever "designed" the compression/modulation/demodulation/decompression
for digital TV should be shot.

Ancient analogue system ,perterbation sequence with progressively worse
signal/interference

snow on picture - can stay with the plot
loss of colour - can stay with the plot
breaking up of b&w pic - cannot really stay with the plot
loss of sound - lost the plot fully

Bells and whistles modern digital , perterbation sequence

breaking up of sound - lost the plot already
loss of moving sections of image - lost the plot previously
intermixing of parts of static frames - lost plot previously
"no signal"

That by nature is common to all digital systems. So you need to make sure
you have a robust signal.

The first digital off air we had in the UK is the NICAM TV sound system -
and that kept going after the picture was unwatchable.

FreeView should become more robust when analogue is switched off - they
can then up the ERP.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Have you seen the last point , in black & white, stated in UK operational
policy somewhere ? any pointers to a document?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.wolfbane.com/ukdtt.htm

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote:

I have noticed more & more still on the air analog channels are skipping
, breaking up into squares or stopping compleatly leaving a black strip
with the words ``poor signal`` on it over & over during the program .
This is all station errors & problems .

Your signal source? I've seen nothing like you describe above.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My signal source is rabbit ears . I have 3 newer expensive Digital tv
sets .

Lately i suppose most stations are digital now but still transmitting on
analog till Feb.
I still watch tv in analog . The last few days one of our UHF channels
is a mess of skipping squares . Last night while watching the news on a
different UHF channel the screen kept going blank with a black strip
with `poor signal` that was from the station itself because i was
watching analog .

I have some of those digital converters . When they work its great but
getting all the channels to come in on rabbit ears i have to fight it .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote:

Last night while watching the news on a
different UHF channel the screen kept going blank with a black strip
with `poor signal` that was from the station itself because i was
watching analog .

You must have been tuned to a *telepathic* station if they knew you
were getting a poor signal.

I have some of those digital converters . When they work its great but
getting all the channels to come in on rabbit ears i have to fight it .

Spend $30-$40 on a decent indoor antenna. This one seems to work quite
well (compared to rabbit ears), but there are others as well.

http://tinyurl.com/6on5b5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You are not understanding yet .

The weak signal displayed on my tv screen was at the tv station as they
were receiving poor signals during a news cast .
Maybe they need a super-rabbitear !

One step closer to playtime John Woodturning 2 May 10th 08 01:55 PM
Which door closer? Wally UK diy 3 June 5th 07 09:00 PM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 10:14 AM
How does a collet closer work? [email protected] Metalworking 18 July 19th 05 10:50 PM
Door closer noise JoeJoe UK diy 15 June 18th 05 04:36 PM