Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to get into PIP mode

I have a used 1993 RCA/GE CTC177 tv set that says PIP on the front
case that I picked up junking. The set works great once I fixed the
tuner solder problem. I only have a universal remote and am wondering
how to get into the PIP mode. I know there is a service mode by
holding down the menu and the power and volume buttons, but don't want
to screw things up. I tried finding the owners manual, but didn't
conme up with anything.

Suggestions....., TIA

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You need a remote control with the PIP function.

It's interesting you brought this up, because I was just about to discuss
the fact that many remotes lack critical functions. For example, I've never
found a universal remote that accesses the fancy features of my Toshiba
CZ-3299K. (Indeed, none of them support the 0 button!) It appears this is
because Toshiba failed or refused to supply these codes to Sony, GE, etc.

I will be contacting Toshiba shortly.

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
. ..
You need a remote control with the PIP function.

It's interesting you brought this up, because I was just about to discuss
the fact that many remotes lack critical functions. For example, I've

never
found a universal remote that accesses the fancy features of my Toshiba
CZ-3299K. (Indeed, none of them support the 0 button!) It appears this is
because Toshiba failed or refused to supply these codes to Sony, GE, etc.

I will be contacting Toshiba shortly.

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

How easy would it be to do something like the following for these too common
situations

IR detector reading the shrouded output of the non-universal remote, set up
with some of the main operational codes for the kit in question.
Gate out the function codes, leaving the ident code and gate in a fully
pre-settable pulse sequence instead.
Buffer and output the recombination to another IR diode until you hit on a
functional auxiliary code and save that on a learing "universal" remote.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
. ..
You need a remote control with the PIP function.

It's interesting you brought this up, because I was just about to discuss
the fact that many remotes lack critical functions. For example, I've

never
found a universal remote that accesses the fancy features of my Toshiba
CZ-3299K. (Indeed, none of them support the 0 button!) It appears this is
because Toshiba failed or refused to supply these codes to Sony, GE, etc.

I will be contacting Toshiba shortly.

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

How easy would it be to do something like the following for these too common
situations

IR detector reading the shrouded output of the non-universal remote, set up
with one of the main operational codes for the kit in question.
Gate out the function coding, leaving the ident code and gate in a fully
variable
pre-settable pulse sequence instead.
Buffer and output the recombination to another IR diode until you hit on a
functional auxiliary code and save that on a learing "universal" remote.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

The news is not that grim....

There are plenty of companies that distribute compatible remotes for
sets that are not covered by the dollar shop universals, say for strange
additional button requirements.

http://www.classic-serviceparts.com is one such company here in the UK.
There must be equivalents where the OP is.

There are also companies that make universal remotes like 'One 4 all'
that can have buttons custom programmed using phone services or even
connection to a PC.

There are infra red learning remotes that, if you can get access to
another handset, can be programmed similary with the matching codeset of
the original. Finally, a PDA or mobile phone with infra red can be
programmed likewise to act as a remote.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 30, 12:32*pm, "N Cook" wrote:
[...]

electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

But, I think behind the fancy terminology, you mean to say I should
copy the signal from a "factory" remote to get into the PIP mode. I
would do that if I had the factory remote, but I don't have it so your
scheme is not good for me. Any other ideas?

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

The news is not that grim....

There are plenty of companies that distribute compatible remotes for
sets that are not covered by the dollar shop universals, say for strange
additional button requirements.

Try MCM Electronics. They claim ...

"MCM is an authorized distributor for Thomson Consumer Electronics. We
have access to virtually every remote they offer. Please contact your
salesperson"

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?M=01005369

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I don't think those who replied got the point I was making. You'll have no
trouble finding a remote labelled as being right for your TV. The "catch" is
that the advanced functions MIGHT NOT BE SUPPORTED.

Some closer that others. The manufacturer's original right on!!! This
isn't the toughest chore on the planet. Do you run a TV shop?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 2, 2:43*pm, Adrian C wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I don't think those who replied got the point I was making. You'll have no
trouble finding a remote labelled as being right for your TV. The "catch" is
that the advanced functions MIGHT NOT BE SUPPORTED.

Some closer that others. The manufacturer's original right on!!! This
isn't the toughest chore on the planet. Do you run a TV shop?

--
Adrian C

I contacted MCM and they said tht a remote with the PIP functions is
not available (thru them at least).

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote:

I contacted MCM and they said tht a remote with the PIP functions is
not available (thru them at least).

Have you tried
http://www.remotes.com/

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Rant mode on Brent Metalworking 0 July 19th 07 01:29 PM
TV in AUX mode [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 February 22nd 07 10:20 AM
Camcorder: Works perfect in 0 LUX mode; Hazy in normal mode Raqueeb Hassan Electronics Repair 2 January 9th 07 05:18 PM