Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

Default Even PCBs are written in "Engrish" now

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE
Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me.
It's not even Wafer1..
What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors?
CONN1 ?

D from BC
British Columbia
Canada
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

D from BC wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE
Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me.

I think it may be a too literal translation of the shape of the connector.
Atleast they did polarise the footprint, seen so many people not bother with
that.

It's not even Wafer1..
What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors?
CONN1 ?

Or CON1. I personally use CN1.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

D from BC wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE
Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me.
It's not even Wafer1..
What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors?
CONN1 ?

If there's any standard it's J1 ('jack'), and if you're calling out
connections in wiring harnesses the mating wire is P1 (plug, with
matching number).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tom wrote:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34

Direct link to image:
http://s15.divshare.com/thumbs/2008/...34_display.jpg

D from BC wrote:
Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

Sounds like you still use The World's Worst Browser.
A modern browser will have an integral Pop-up Blocker.
Gecko-based browsers have a NoScript extension available.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

D from BC wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE
Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me.
It's not even Wafer1..
What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors?
CONN1 ?

D from BC
British Columbia
Canada

Ice cream context in the machine translator?
Con1 - Cone - Wafer

--
General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Tom" wrote in message
I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

My favourite is one I found in an old guitar pedal. There was a drawing of
the 9 volt battery and its connector, and the helpful text "connect
battery to battersnap"

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tim Wescott wrote:

D from BC wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE
Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me.
It's not even Wafer1..
What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors?
CONN1 ?

If there's any standard it's J1 ('jack'), and if you're calling out
connections in wiring harnesses the mating wire is P1 (plug, with
matching number).

J for jack would be a guitar jack connector in Britain.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

ItsASecretDummy wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

You cannot see the thermistor attached to that connector and plugged
into that socket marked "wafer"?

Eh ?

It's a mains input connector. See the blue neutral wire and the required
double insulation (the black jacket).

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tom wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

That's the wafer you to connect wires to the PCB. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

In article , TheBartenderBuyMeADrink wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:39:27 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Tom wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

That's the wafer you to connect wires to the PCB. ;-)

You guys are dopes. One can clearly see the thermistor in place in
that connector header. Can't see it? Then, you shouldn't even be in the
thread.

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of
the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):
http://www.divshare.com/img/4720478-d30
Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is labelled
TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the
main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is
that it's the "way fer" power to come in.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tom wrote:

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of
the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):
http://www.divshare.com/img/4720478-d30
Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is labelled
TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the
main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is
that it's the "way fer" power to come in.

NO. It's simply Asian English. This may help. I believe wafer simply means 'polarising
bar'.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=wafer+connector

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

In article , Eeyore wrote:

Tom wrote:

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of
the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):
http://www.divshare.com/img/4720478-d30
Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is

labelled
TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the
main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is
that it's the "way fer" power to come in.

NO. It's simply Asian English. This may help. I believe wafer simply means
'polarising
bar'.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=wafer+connector

Yes, it looks like you're right!

I must admit I've never heard of a wafer connector before, and based on the
number of replies here it looks like I'm not the only one

I'm going to have to include one of these in all my designs from now on, along
with some high voltage dander.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

I'm trying to understand the reason that an "S" is appended to
resistors, capacitors, and diodes, ie RS2, CS4, DS2.

As for WAFER, if you're looking for a typo on a QWERTY keyboard, then
possibilities include SAFER, WAGER, WATER, WAVER, WADER. However, I'll
wager it would be safer to keep water out of the power supply. I'd
also waver before touching the power connector, although wearing
rubber waders may afford some protection.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

(Tom) put finger to keyboard and composed:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

I'm trying to understand the reason that an "S" is appended to
resistors, capacitors, and diodes, ie RS2, CS4, DS2.

A purely inspired guess would be that these are 'safety rated' components.

RS2 looks like it could be a flameproof part, CS5 is likely an X-rated cap,
RS3 a high-voltage type (looks like the start-up R that needs 350V rating).

And you can see some 'CY' Y-type caps too on the second pic.

And then the theory falls down brilliantly on the secondary side !

As for WAFER, if you're looking for a typo on a QWERTY keyboard, then
possibilities include SAFER, WAGER, WATER, WAVER, WADER. However, I'll
wager it would be safer to keep water out of the power supply. I'd
also waver before touching the power connector, although wearing
rubber waders may afford some protection.

Google "wafer connector".

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

AbQsuatElie WoniErFulskz!! LOAM

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 +0000, Tom wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34 I can understand the obvious
misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to mean?

Wafer connector:
http://www.globalsources.com/manufac...Connector.html

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 02:55:06 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Tom wrote:

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of
the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):
http://www.divshare.com/img/4720478-d30
Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is labelled
TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the
main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is
that it's the "way fer" power to come in.

NO. It's simply Asian English. This may help. I believe wafer simply means 'polarising
bar'.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=wafer+connector

Graham

Here is a US patent assigned to Molex Incorporated, with non-Asian
inventors:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6848932.html

The patent text refers to "blocks of wafer or plug connectors", so it
doesn't sound as if the correct explanation is Asian English.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

ItsASecretDummy wrote:

Perhaps the term comes from old, paper composite manufacturing materials
of long ago.

Like your skin ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

ItsASecretDummy wrote:

So, those are all a "way" "fer" you to connect stuff up.

I see why you call yourself "Dummy".

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tom wrote:

[...]

Ah, maybe then it refers to a multipole type where the extra poles are made simply by
extending the length of the supporting 'wafer' ? The 'wafer' being the insulating base.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

D from BC wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:45:33 GMT, (Tom) wrote:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4712468-a34
I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to
mean?

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

D from BC
British Columbia
Canada

If you get unwanted/annoying pop-ups get a browser like Firefox that
allows you to block these...I never see pop-ups except for web sites
that I specifically allow them on (some of my order sites, banks, etc.).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com