Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Even PCBs are written in "Engrish" now

ItsASecretDummy wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 02:55:06 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:
Tom wrote:

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of
the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):
http://www.divshare.com/img/4720478-d30
Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is labelled
TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the
main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is
that it's the "way fer" power to come in.

NO. It's simply Asian English. This may help. I believe wafer simply means 'polarising
bar'.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=wafer+connector

Here is a US patent assigned to Molex Incorporated, with non-Asian
inventors:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6848932.html

The patent text refers to "blocks of wafer or plug connectors", so it
doesn't sound as if the correct explanation is Asian English.

Ah, maybe then it refers to a multipole type where the extra poles are made simply by
extending the length of the supporting 'wafer' ? The 'wafer' being the insulating base.

Graham