Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "ghost" image on Hitachi LCD projector

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu of a Hitachi CP-X430W? It has
a faint double image, apparently in the red channel, and the optical alignment
is correct. The cyan leading ghost image shows up on all screens including OSD
menus. I've seen similar but correctable ghosting problems in other projectors.
Older Sanyo models like the PLC-9000 and other makes such as Boxlight 9600, Eiki
LC-X1 and Proxima 9310 made by Sanyo were "repairable" by getting into the
service menu and changing one data value. I'd hate to toss this Hitachi for such
a fault if it's repairable in that manner. It's out of warranty and Hitachi
doesn't want to talk to me.

Ray Carlsen
A/V Engineering
University of Washington, Seattle
--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray Carlsen wrote:
[...]

I've seen something like you describe in NEC LCD projectors. AIRC, the
problem was warpage of the affected LCD panel; repairable (replace the
panel), but not economically.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hitachi CP-X430W? It has a faint double image, apparently in the red
channel,

I've seen something like you describe in NEC LCD projectors. AIRC, the
problem was warpage of the affected LCD panel; repairable (replace the
panel), but not economically.

jak,
Thanks for the feedback. We've had quite a few projectors including NEC
fail with bad panels or filters, but the symptoms were quite different, mostly
consisting of blue blobs sneaking through what should be a dark background or
yellow spots on a white screen. They always seem to under-rate the cooling in
LCD projectors.
The fault with this Hitachi is that the "ghost" image is exactly 12 pixels
wide and shows up ahead of normal vertical lines. A warped panel or dichroic
filter wouldn't do that. If a red-only screen is displayed and the RGB input is
fed color bars at 50% level (you will not see it at 100%), the right side of the
red vertical bar is dark, the width of 12 pixels. The green and blue channels
are OK.
As I mentioned before, we had quite a few Sanyo based projectors with the
same kind of problem. The "cure" for those was to change the data in one memory
location in the service menu. We needed the ear of a knowledgeable tech at
Sanyo, and I got it several years ago... that problem was solved for Sanyos.

Ray
--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray Carlsen wrote:

[...]

I've a similar problem with a sanyo PLC-SU33. The image is doubled in
blue a few distance at right.
You mentioned that the solution is in the service menu. Where could I
find this information?.

Thanks.

Toni

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"antoni.ubieto" wrote in
message ...

Ray Carlsen wrote:

[...]

There is probably a ghost adjustment in the service menu, most of their
products here including the 50V/60V500 models have a specific adjustment.
Check your service literature regarding ghosting adjustment. I.E. You do
have the Service Manual for this setCorrect?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is probably a ghost adjustment in the service menu, most of

their
products here including the 50V/60V500 models have a specific

adjustment.
Check your service literature regarding ghosting adjustment. I.E.

You do
have the Service Manual for this setCorrect?

Finally I've found the service manual for the Sanyo PLC-SU33. This
isn't any reference to ghosting adjustments.
I've tryed varying all the electric adjustments items refering to the
blue without success to cancelling the blue ghost image.
Have you any idea before trying optical adjusments?

Thank you.

Toni.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

antoni.ubieto wrote:

There is probably a ghost adjustment in the service menu, most of

their
products here including the 50V/60V500 models have a specific

adjustment.
Check your service literature regarding ghosting adjustment. I.E.

You do
have the Service Manual for this setCorrect?

Finally I've found the service manual for the Sanyo PLC-SU33. This
isn't any reference to ghosting adjustments.
I've tryed varying all the electric adjustments items refering to the
blue without success to cancelling the blue ghost image.
Have you any idea before trying optical adjusments?

Thank you.

Toni.

If it's ghosting, the problem is probably not anything you can adjust.
Usually it means something has failed.