Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Identifying shorts in CRT socket spark gaps and repairing them

Hi,

I've been having troubles with an Eizo T766 19" CRT; the blue and red gun
occasionally turn fully on, most notably when tapping the neck board, with
visible verticle retrace for that color. At first I thought I narrowed the
problem down as being inside the CRT, because I desoldered the offending guns'
pins from the neck board, and the problem remained. However, it has come to my
attention that the problem could also very well be in the CRT socket, the
spark gaps to be precise. The "Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of
Television Sets" article on www.repairfaq.org says this about it:

Except for the high voltage to other places, the short may actually be

located in the CRT *socket* or even on the CRT neck board, probably in the
spark gap(s) for the problem pins. Remove the socket and test between the
suspect pins on the CRT itself. If the CRT itself is fine, the spark gaps
should be inspected and cleaned/repaired and/or components replaced.

I don't know a lot about CRT's, and their sockets, so I've got a question. What
are the spark gaps? Are those the holes next to the pin connectors? The socket
for my tube is shown in [1]. And how do I repair them (if they are what I
think they are, they are difficult to reach).

The short does not measure with the continuity tester on my DMM, and not even
with the 200 MOhm resistance tester (neither with the socket connected to the
CRT, or hanging loose, so it's difficult to test if the socket is actually the
cause. But if it were, would I measure a short between the pin connector and
ground?

[1] http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/eizo-crt-socket
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wiebe Cazemier wrote in
b.home.nl:

[...]

I believe the spark gaps look like disc capacitors with a slit in the
top edge.
I had a TV with bad solder joints on the CRT socket PCB,caused similar
problems.

the CRT socket could be loose for some pins.(the individual pin sockets
being spread open too much,not gripping the CRT pin tightly)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

[...]

Need to see the OTHER side of the board. Those sparkgaps I am familiar with
look like a small ceramic disk capacitor with a slit cut into the edge
perpendicular to the disk.

They might be INSIDE the body of the socket (white plastic thing on the
board you are holding).

The short does not measure with the continuity tester on my DMM, and not
even with the 200 MOhm resistance tester (neither with the socket
connected to the CRT, or hanging loose, so it's difficult to test if the
socket is actually the cause. But if it were, would I measure a short
between the pin connector and ground?

[1] http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/eizo-crt-socket

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday 01 May 2008 18:39, Jim Yanik wrote:

I believe the spark gaps look like disc capacitors with a slit in the
top edge.
I had a TV with bad solder joints on the CRT socket PCB,caused similar
problems.

the CRT socket could be loose for some pins.(the individual pin sockets
being spread open too much,not gripping the CRT pin tightly)

The article I mentioned talks of clean the spark gaps. If they are components
like you describe, how is that done? If they are components, the only ones
that could be them, is devices which look like diodes or resistors. Their
symbol is two arrows pointing towards eachother, and are connected between gun
and ground.

I had already tried running the tube with the red and blue pins of the socket
desoldered. If the spark gap is a component on the board, as opposed to
something internally in the socket (the white plastic thing in the photo),
then the problem is not the spark gap, because it wasn't connected.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday 01 May 2008 18:44, bz wrote:
Need to see the OTHER side of the board. Those sparkgaps I am familiar with
look like a small ceramic disk capacitor with a slit cut into the edge
perpendicular to the disk.

They might be INSIDE the body of the socket (white plastic thing on the
board you are holding).

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/crt-socket-back

There are no parts except a few SMD capacitors, as far as I can see. And there
is nothing whatsoever in the white body (I desoldered it to have a look).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wiebe Cazemier" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
On Thursday 01 May 2008 18:44, bz wrote:
Need to see the OTHER side of the board. Those sparkgaps I am familiar
with
look like a small ceramic disk capacitor with a slit cut into the edge
perpendicular to the disk.

They might be INSIDE the body of the socket (white plastic thing on the
board you are holding).

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/crt-socket-back

There are no parts except a few SMD capacitors, as far as I can see. And
there
is nothing whatsoever in the white body (I desoldered it to have a look.

As posted, the spark gaps may be physically inside the crt socket assembly
itself. The odds of disassembly and proper reassembly of most of these
sockets is actually relatively low. It may be done with proper tools and
techniques.
What you may find is that due to arcing at the gaps or external contaminates
that the surfaces may have become carbonized and pitted. At that point it
may be best to look for a new crt socket and just replace it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/crt-socket-back

There are no parts except a few SMD capacitors, as far as
I can see. And there
is nothing whatsoever in the white body (I desoldered it
to have a look.

As posted, the spark gaps may be physically inside the crt
socket assembly itself. The odds of disassembly and proper
reassembly of most of these sockets is actually relatively
low. It may be done with proper tools and techniques.
What you may find is that due to arcing at the gaps or
external contaminates that the surfaces may have become
carbonized and pitted. At that point it may be best to
look for a new crt socket and just replace it.

What are the components SGH30,31,32? These are between the
cathodes and ground. These may be you spark gaps.

David

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday 01 May 2008 20:17, Art wrote:

As posted, the spark gaps may be physically inside the crt socket assembly
itself. The odds of disassembly and proper reassembly of most of these
sockets is actually relatively low. It may be done with proper tools and
techniques.
What you may find is that due to arcing at the gaps or external contaminates
that the surfaces may have become carbonized and pitted. At that point it
may be best to look for a new crt socket and just replace it.

This is the socket itself, the underside:

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-0...cket-underside

I don't see anything that could be a spark gap. It just seems to be a piece of
plastic to connect the tube to the neck board.

A quote from David's post:

What are the components SGH30,31,32? These are between the
cathodes and ground. These may be you spark gaps.

Those are those resistor-like devices I mentioned, which' symbol is two arrows
pointing to eachother. I indeed suspected them as the spark gaps.
Unfortunately, this means that the short is really in the CRT, because the
problem persisted with the red and blue pins desoldered from the PCB. Unless
my tapping caused them to connect briefly, but I doubt that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David" wrote in message

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-05/crt-socket-back

There are no parts except a few SMD capacitors, as far as I can see. And
there
is nothing whatsoever in the white body (I desoldered it to have a look.

As posted, the spark gaps may be physically inside the crt socket
assembly itself. The odds of disassembly and proper reassembly of most of
these sockets is actually relatively low. It may be done with proper
tools and techniques.
What you may find is that due to arcing at the gaps or external
contaminates that the surfaces may have become carbonized and pitted. At
that point it may be best to look for a new crt socket and just replace
it.

What are the components SGH30,31,32? These are between the cathodes and
ground. These may be you spark gaps.

David

They almost certainly are. I've seen the SG designation used for spark gaps
before. Some look like capacitors, some look like neon glow lamps, others
look like diodes or resistors, all function pretty much the same.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

A sharp rap or two to the neck of the CRT, using the butt end of a
screwdriver, and with the monitor / TV on its side or upside down (but NOT
on its face) can often be effective at dislodging material that has fallen
off the cathode surface into the g1-k gap. The 'resistor' looking devices
called "SG" are the spark gaps. The opposing arrows symbol is standard for
this type of device. Any slots - often with curved opposing faces - milled
in the PCB material, with copper up to the edge of the gap, are also spark
gaps. These can get dusty contamination across them. It is also not at all
uncommon to have a grounded wire ring running around the outside of all the
pins, inside the plastic base connector. However, from your description, it
certainly sounds as though the problem is internal to the CRT.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday 02 May 2008 02:13, Arfa Daily wrote:

A sharp rap or two to the neck of the CRT, using the butt end of a
screwdriver, and with the monitor / TV on its side or upside down (but NOT
on its face) can often be effective at dislodging material that has fallen
off the cathode surface into the g1-k gap.

Is this also common for cathode-heater shorts? Because that is my problem.
Also, I've tried the tapping, but I don't dare tapping too hard. Your
description of "sharp rap" implies more force than I've applied thus far.

Should the rap be on the side of the tube, or on the rear side (back of the
neck board)?

I wonder how I am going to put it upside down BTW. There is nothing to support
the weight of the monitor at the back...

Hello shorts ;) John B Woodworking 1 July 12th 07 07:02 PM
Help Identifying a Plug/socket Robert Inder Electronics Repair 15 April 11th 07 12:38 PM
crt socket spark gap arcing xamman Electronics Repair 6 November 21st 06 11:15 PM
GE cooktop no spark - spark module or something else? autonut843 Home Repair 3 February 21st 06 02:11 AM