Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help Identifying a Plug/socket

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Specifically, it is the plug that attaches the signal cable to the
chassis of a Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold "dual concentric" driver
(i.e. the tweeter is mounted at the centre of the bass driver).

Wiggling that cable has revealed a fault in either the plug itself or
in the cable just back from it. "Dry Joint" comes to mind. But
the plug is awkward to disassemble --- it is held together by bending
lugs over some kind of fibrous plate that has the actual pins in it
--- and I'm worried I might damage it.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four
places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the
plug will only go in one way round).

The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with
(obviously) four pins!

I've found a photo of the driver at...

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis
of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

Robert.

--
|_) _ |_ _ ._ |- | So what? It's easier for me, so I'll do it!
| \(_)|_)(-'| |_ |

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Inder wrote:

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis
of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

I have a vague recollection of them but can't remember a name.

They're extinct now ! You'll have to replace both the socket and plug. A good
thing since it's was lousy choice for the job in the first place.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Robert Inder wrote:
Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

They were also used for dry batteries on portable valve radios where the
one battery supplied both heaters and HT - so was two in one.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06 Apr 2007 21:54:41 +0100, Robert Inder wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

(snip)
I've found a photo of the driver at...

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis
of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

McMurdo used to make those. They were used in a number of stereo systems here
in Australia in the 70's. No idea if they are still available anywhere, or what
they were actually called.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Robert Inder" wrote in message

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Yes, no name I ever remember.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right size
to make a connection.

Heat shrink could ID and insulate them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article y0HRh.4707$hO2.623@edtnps82,
Homer J Simpson wrote:

"Robert Inder" wrote in message

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Yes, no name I ever remember.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right
size to make a connection.

Heat shrink could ID and insulate them.

They're easy enough to repair or re-use.

Carefully bend back the lugs on the cover and remove. The pins are hollow
and the wires soldered to the inside. The base is fibre and not easily
damaged by the heat of an iron - unlike many modern plugs.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

More likely one or more of the four sockets have increased in diamiter and
caused a loose fit.
they consist of a rap around contact.
If you could get to the other side with long nosed pliers
(I have a pair that are curved )
you might be able to give the contact tubes a gentle squeeze.
Russ

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 06:39:26 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Robert Inder" wrote in message

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Yes, no name I ever remember.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right size
to make a connection.

Molex pins come to mind for this..

Heat shrink could ID and insulate them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PeterD" wrote in message

You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right
size
to make a connection.

Molex pins come to mind for this..

The UK made a type of mini banana plug which used split pins.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Robert Inder wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four
places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the
plug will only go in one way round).

The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with
(obviously) four pins!

I've found a photo of the driver at...

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

Looks like it might compatible with an Amphenol "Minature Plug",
Like the number "71-4S". This is a bakelite shell with pins molded
into it. Much cheaper versions existed.

Buzzwords: "Type 71" or "Type 91" plug. Also matching were the
"Type 78" sockets.

3/32 inch pins, according to some old catalogs I saved from my youth.

Mark Zenier

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Obsolete plug/socket no longer available (unless from surplus).

I refer you to this site on replacing the socket onthe Monitor Gold
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy22.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message

Obsolete plug/socket no longer available (unless from surplus).

I refer you to this site on replacing the socket onthe Monitor Gold
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy22.htm

Overkill. I'm sure the shack has speaker connectors that would fit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article 4v0Sh.8343$hO2.3986@edtnps82,
Homer J Simpson wrote:

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message

Obsolete plug/socket no longer available (unless from surplus).

I refer you to this site on replacing the socket onthe Monitor Gold
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy22.htm

Overkill. I'm sure the shack has speaker connectors that would fit.

The problem might be how much they extend behind - so as not to foul the
cone.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Overkill. I'm sure the shack has speaker connectors that would fit.

The problem might be how much they extend behind - so as not to foul the
cone.

Sure, but ISTR some 'lift spring' types that could work.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103795

Model: 274-632 | Catalog #: 274-632

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

i think i have a plug and even a socket like you need...only one...it is
something i have from my dad's tv repair business in the 50's and
60's...common in audio equipment back then

i'd be happy to give it to you...free shipping too

john petillo
corvallis oregon