Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to make a USB 2.0 male x male data link

I have a need for a site that describes this procedure, thanks in
advance.

ctops.legal
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 18, 12:41 pm, "ctops.legal" wrote:
I have a need for a site that describes this procedure, thanks in
advance.

ctops.legal

If you want to make a cable with male connectors on both ends, nothing
but wire in the middle, then transfer data from one computer to
another: Not possible. Don't remember the details, but the USB
standard makes it physically impossible. There must be an active
device in the middle of the cable. But don't take my word for it.
Google "usb data transfer", etc. There are many on the market.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

See if www.si87.com has what you need.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would not advise USB to USB to transfer files. USB was not designed
for this.

It is best done through the Ethernet port. There is a lot of
information available about how to make a simple network between two
computers for transfering files.

Jerry G.
-----------

On Apr 18, 2:41*pm, "ctops.legal" wrote:
I have a need for a site that describes this procedure, thanks in
advance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ctops.legal

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dBc dBc is offline

Greetings "ctops.legal" et. al...

I couldn't agree with Jerry more! Even if configured for data
transfer, USB is bandwidth limited for data of any substantial
size. This is why our networks have notoriously been Ethernet
based. The good thing about two computers that sport an Ethernet
connection is you don't require a hub or a switch if you merely
want to connect the two together.

In front of me right now is a Belkin package for a CAT5e
Crossover cable M/N: T3532G/A. Many other companies are making
the same type of cable - probably for less money. Connect this
cable between two computers having an Ethernet port and you'll
typically have 10 or 100MBit/sec. connection and something less
than that regarding the actual data transfer, considering the
overhead, but it will usually be more than adequate for PC use.
This is the way to establish data transfer at a better bandwidth
with a protocol that was established for broadband reliable data
transfer.

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"Jerry G." wrote in message
I would not advise USB to USB to transfer files. USB was not
designed
for this.

It is best done through the Ethernet port. There is a lot of
information available about how to make a simple network between
two
computers for transfering files.

Jerry G.
-----------

On Apr 18, 2:41 pm, "ctops.legal" wrote:
I have a need for a site that describes this procedure, thanks
in
advance.

ctops.legal

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dBc wrote:

[...]

That's ok if both computers have an Ethernet port. If they don't, you
have to install a network card, and configure them to the same networks.
I have the software and active USB interface that installs and works in
minutes, without changing the network configuration. It has a USB power
processor that handles the data transfer, and handshaking. I have found
a cheap one that works OK at a 'Dollar Tree' store, for a dollar, plus
sales tax. I gave them to friends who wanted to borrow the expensive
one, and they worked fine.

http://www.usb.org/about/usb_nomenclature states that USB currently has
a maximum data rate of 480 Mb/s, or almost five times that of 100 Mb/s
Ethernet. Also, keep in mind that the actual data rates are about 20
MB/s and 40 MB/s

These are both burst rates, because no PC can maintain those data
rates on a continuous basis.

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

If you want to claim 'mentor' status, please give all the facts, not
just your personal preferences. If someone wants to copy an entire hard
drive, there are better ways, but to move some files between computers,
either works OK. In the shop, I use a USB wireless internet to install
software from the shop server, since there are places I haven't finished
the network cabling. I have the advantage of being able to set up a
computer anywhere there is enough space to work, without worrying about
finding a free ethernet port.

http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/usb.html has a comparison chart for
the common interfaces, and versions.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

snip
I have the software and active USB interface that installs and works in
minutes, without changing the network configuration. It has a USB power
processor that handles the data transfer, and handshaking. I have found
a cheap one that works OK at a 'Dollar Tree' store, for a dollar, plus
sales tax.

snip

Wow, you mean to say that you have purchased USB Ethernet adapters for
one dollar at the Dollar Tree? I'll bet you get a few requests for
trips to that store from here on... grin

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

msg wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

snip
I have the software and active USB interface that installs and works in
minutes, without changing the network configuration. It has a USB power
processor that handles the data transfer, and handshaking. I have found
a cheap one that works OK at a 'Dollar Tree' store, for a dollar, plus
sales tax.

snip

Wow, you mean to say that you have purchased USB Ethernet adapters for
one dollar at the Dollar Tree? I'll bet you get a few requests for
trips to that store from here on... grin

Michael

No, they were USB to USB cables with a processor. I haven't seen any
for about six months, but I think I might have one left, and hiding
somewhere in the 1000+ spare cables in the shop.

I have bought USb to ethernet adapters for under $10, though.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

USB is a master/slave connection, and your intent is to connect
two masters. It can be done, by a cable that supports a
dual-port memory which is a slave to both the masters.
And, some software.

However, a peer-to-peer connection is far easier and can
generalize to more than two computers. Firewire and Ethernet
and variations on WiFi are the best choices here.

Those little USB keychain flash drives are widely available,
inexpensive
and completely supported by modern OS software. Use them if
it has to be a USB solution.