Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fixed B&D toaster

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to stay
down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists of an
electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had collected
on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap to prevent it
from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back together and
it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding the cover on was
some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars made quick work of
that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to
stay down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists
of an electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had
collected on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap
to prevent it from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back
together and it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding
the cover on was some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars
made quick work of that.

I've got one with a similar mech. Works brilliantly compared to the old
purely mechanical system, except for one small detail. The designer cleverly
omitted to put on an over-ride button ! So, if what you are toasting starts
to scorch before the damn thing decides it's cooked, the only way to get it
to stop and pop your toast up, is to either flick the wall switch off, or
pull the plug !!

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to stay
down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists of an
electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had collected
on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap to prevent it
from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back together and
it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding the cover on was
some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars made quick work of
that.

Don't you just love those easy ones?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" writes:

[...]

No way to push the lever up? At least the Toastmaster has that!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to stay
down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists of an
electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had collected
on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap to prevent it
from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back together and
it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding the cover on was
some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars made quick work of
that.

Make sure you tell Phil. Toasters are his specialty, after all. ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I want one of these Sanyo Panda toasters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaUYw7UCG0

Mmmm... Toasted pandas...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:48:33 GMT, Arfa Daily wrote:

8............

In contrast, we have two 4-slice toasters at our cafe, which also use
an electromagnetic locking system, but have a cancel button. Simple
and much more effective than the Philips effort.

However, in making the mass market model for the Great Unwashed, if you
can eliminate a switch - the attendant wiring - and the resulting
assembly complexity -- and you save 50 cents per model....
Now, then, if you sell 10,000,000 of them .....................

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The original poster didn't say which B&D toaster he owned, but it was likely
a GE toaster oven. This (and similar) models have two ways of cancelling --
you either flip up the "push to toast" switch, or you open the door.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
The original poster didn't say which B&D toaster he owned, but it was
likely
a GE toaster oven. This (and similar) models have two ways of
cancelling --
you either flip up the "push to toast" switch, or you open the door.

No, it's not a toaster oven, just an ordinary 2 slice toaster. I didn't post
the model number because I was too lazy to go find it, I'm sure many models
work similarly. There's a cancel button, as well as the lever can be forced
up without too much effort, but that's irrelevant to the original problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article EdaMj.2144$vz2.513@trndny05, James Sweet
wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
The original poster didn't say which B&D toaster he owned, but it was
likely
a GE toaster oven. This (and similar) models have two ways of
cancelling --
you either flip up the "push to toast" switch, or you open the door.

Good for you James!
Where I live people would just throw it out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news:120420081901541307%scottb9411removethis@comca st.net...
wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
The original poster didn't say which B&D toaster he owned, but it was
likely
a GE toaster oven. This (and similar) models have two ways of
cancelling --
you either flip up the "push to toast" switch, or you open the door.

Good for you James!
Where I live people would just throw it out.

I just bought the stupid thing a couple months ago, it still looked like new
so I opened it up. I usually take a crack at fixing anything, so long as it
isn't total junk.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message news:dRZLj.3602$6w3.3447@trnddc07...

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to stay
down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists of an
electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had collected
on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap to prevent it
from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back together and
it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding the cover on was
some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars made quick work of
that.

I have the same problem with mine.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

db

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have the same problem with mine.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

db

The handle is a real pain in the butt to get back on, keep at it and you'll
figure it out.

Tefal Toaster John UK diy 0 February 18th 06 10:38 AM
Un-toaster Asimov Electronics Repair 1 February 15th 06 07:51 AM
Toaster Problem Eric Mackie Electronics Repair 24 February 25th 05 10:08 PM
Toaster [email protected] Home Repair 8 September 13th 04 06:05 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM