Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Watts-Up Pro

Has anyone bought/used one of these? They seem to be a neat device to
analyze home device power usage, such as a new refrigerator will take 20
years to pay back the purchase price, regardless of the wife wanting a new
one. :-) Any experience out there?

WT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message
. com...
Has anyone bought/used one of these? They seem to be a neat device to
analyze home device power usage, such as a new refrigerator will take 20
years to pay back the purchase price, regardless of the wife wanting a new
one. :-) Any experience out there?

WT

I have a Kill A Watt which is a more basic but still very capable
instrument, it's only about 20 bucks and provides 90% the functionality that
one does. Neat device, first couple weeks I had it I was plugging in
everything I could find. The cumulative kWhr feature has been among the most
useful.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:36:43 -0500, "Wayne Tiffany"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Has anyone bought/used one of these? They seem to be a neat device to
analyze home device power usage, such as a new refrigerator will take 20
years to pay back the purchase price, regardless of the wife wanting a new
one. :-) Any experience out there?

WT

Here's a much cheaper alternative, with less features:
http://www.p3international.com/produ.../P4400-CE.html

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message
. com...
Has anyone bought/used one of these? They seem to be a neat device to
analyze home device power usage, such as a new refrigerator will take 20
years to pay back the purchase price, regardless of the wife wanting a new
one. :-) Any experience out there?

WT

Be careful of interpreting the results obtained for some appliances.
Depending on the algorithm used to calculate the power usage, some
switchmode power supplies that use a burst standby mode, can cause the meter
to give a misleadingly high reading when the device being measured, is in
standby. Otherwise, from all I've read about them (in general rather than
any specific make / model) they seem to be a useful and reasonably accurate
tool for the price.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a Kill-a-Watt, which seems to give useful information.

Whether any of these devices will save you money by directing you to
high-current-drain devices you weren't aware of seems unlikely. But they're
cheap and fun to have.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I have a Kill-a-Watt, which seems to give useful information.

Whether any of these devices will save you money by directing you to
high-current-drain devices you weren't aware of seems unlikely. But
they're
cheap and fun to have.

Mine actually surprised me in how little power some things I thought were
big users actually consumed.

On the other hand, the space heater my tenant was using was quite the
opposite, getting rid of that and installing a proper thermostatically
controlled baseboard in that room really did save money.

Can I Mix 40 Watts and 25 Watts Light Bulbs in One Fixture? [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 31st 18 05:02 PM
Watts. Is the box wrong or do I not understand? Joy Electronics 2 January 11th 08 01:46 PM
Bad Amp, New Amp, Watts & Ohms nilo Electronics Repair 7 June 18th 06 03:04 AM
Watts FloodSafe Ben Home Repair 13 March 7th 06 02:28 PM
Watts vs. Mueller jaynews Home Repair 4 December 31st 05 12:41 PM