Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NiMH recovery from 0 volts ?

What is the prognosis for such a battery , run down to 0 volts.
Recovered perfectly happily taking normal charge and holding, but will it be
reliable, have much reduced capacity etc.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
What is the prognosis for such a battery , run down to 0 volts.
Recovered perfectly happily taking normal charge and holding, but will it
be
reliable, have much reduced capacity etc.

LaCrosse chargers and others report the mA-h expectations after
reconditioning. Or, you can just try it and see.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Beck" wrote in message
th.net...

Our secretary routinely lets her radio flatten (she forgets to turn it
it off on a Friday) the 4500mAh NiMH C cells in it. She bring them
back to me, I put them on my FMA universal charger and they
routinely take 4500+ back in and she hasn't complained about any
shortage of run time. I guess if it makes it through the week, she's
good with it.

Bad idea. Wait until one of the cells reverses, and it explodes in the
charger.

As she doesn't take it home over the weekend, why doesn't she run the radio
off AC?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:51:08 -0000, "N Cook"
wrote:

What is the prognosis for such a battery , run down to 0 volts.
Recovered perfectly happily taking normal charge and holding, but will it be
reliable, have much reduced capacity etc.

May depend more on how long it stayed in a discharged state. I test
my batteries for capacity to weed out the bad ones and find that an
immediate recharge doesn't seem to hurt the capacity any.

A cheap analog quartz clock with a dummy load in parallel is all it
takes to check individual cells, series zener and cap across the clock
for multi cell batteries - well worth the time and effort IMHO.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message . ..

When it will not make it a week, I'll replace them.

Why don't you just force her to run it off AC? Hide the batteries, and
she'll have no choice.

Do you like to be forced? How about I hide meat away from you from A year, will that be alright with you?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When it will not make it a week, I'll replace them.

Why don't you just force her to run it off AC? Hide the batteries, and
she'll have no choice.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Get another line cord for her and make her happy.I have a few old radios
I bought at thrift stores.Some of them didn't have a line cord.An old
detatchable electric shaver cord works just fine.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:18:35 -0000, "N Cook"
wrote:

I'm so used to equating seeing 0V on a nicad with chuck-it, so often the
case.
A high current blast , will often fuse the whisker, the cell always seems to
repeat its dendriting chemistry, so never a guaranteed cure.

Charging with short pulses followed by a discharge pulse rather than
constant current means any tendency to go internally short circuit
disappears in around 5 cycles or so.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charging with short pulses followed by a discharge pulse rather
than constant current means any tendency to go internally short
circuit disappears in around 5 cycles or so.

This principle has been almost 45 years. Honeywell made such a charger for
their Strobonar flash units, which not only rapidly charged the battery
pack, but was claimed to "heal" damaged packs.

A test in "Modern Photography" confirmed that it really did these things.
Some years later, when I asked the late Bert Keppler why we'd heard no more
about this charger, he told me "It didn't work. The batteries blew up
sometimes."

Of course, that was 40 years ago. I assume things have changed.