Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dissemble Sony Boombox CFD8

Help! Trying to open a Sony CFD8 portable boombox. The case has deep
recessed rivets (thanks a lot Sony). Other than a sledge hammer (or long
drill bits), does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Hank
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hank" wrote in message
Help! Trying to open a Sony CFD8 portable boombox. The case has deep
recessed rivets (thanks a lot Sony). Other than a sledge hammer (or long
drill bits), does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Hank

They usually have deeply recessed philips-head screws, not rivets ... All
that's needed is a good quality long-shanked screwdriver.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
Help! Trying to open a Sony CFD8 portable boombox. The case has deep
recessed rivets (thanks a lot Sony). Other than a sledge hammer (or long
drill bits), does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Hank

They usually have deeply recessed philips-head screws, not rivets ... All
that's needed is a good quality long-shanked screwdriver.

Arfa

Thanks for your reply. No this &^%&^% boombox has rivets (I promise).
Someone else mentioned this and ended throwing there's away. Before I do
that I'll break out the sawzall or chainsaw :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hank" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
Help! Trying to open a Sony CFD8 portable boombox. The case has deep
recessed rivets (thanks a lot Sony). Other than a sledge hammer (or long
drill bits), does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Hank

They usually have deeply recessed philips-head screws, not rivets ... All
that's needed is a good quality long-shanked screwdriver.

Arfa

Thanks for your reply. No this &^%&^% boombox has rivets (I promise).
Someone else mentioned this and ended throwing there's away. Before I do
that I'll break out the sawzall or chainsaw :-)

Well, that's very odd, and I can't imagine how rivets have gotten in there,
or why. Or even what a rivet would secure to. Even if you could get a blind
rivet down the recess, and force it into the screwhole on the pillar that's
part of the front moulding, you'd still never be able to get the rivetting
tool down there to 'pull' it. I have been mending Sony boomboxes for 35
years, and I have never seen a model that is held together by anything other
than philips headed screws. Is it possible that someone has replaced the
screws with some having a 'security' head, and that is fooling you into
thinking that they are rivets ?

I don't have the manual for the CFD 8, but the one for the CFD 9 which I
think is pretty similar, very clearly shows it being held together by "#3"
and "#4", which according to the parts list are
"SCREW +BVTP 3 x 14 TYPE2 N-S" and "SCREW +B 3 x 8"

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"hank" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
[...]

Its quite likely that someone in the past has damaged the screw heads
and the screwdriver just spins on them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"hank" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
[...]

The OP contacted me direct off-group on this and it's now resolved. :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"hank" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Arfa

Good! Thanks for letting me know the outcome.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.