Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Dissemble Sony Boombox CFD8

"Baron" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"hank" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"hank" wrote in message
Help! Trying to open a Sony CFD8 portable boombox. The case has
deep recessed rivets (thanks a lot Sony). Other than a sledge
hammer (or long drill bits), does anyone have any experience with
this? Thanks!
Hank

They usually have deeply recessed philips-head screws, not rivets
... All that's needed is a good quality long-shanked screwdriver.

Arfa
Thanks for your reply. No this &^%&^% boombox has rivets (I
promise). Someone else mentioned this and ended throwing there's
away. Before I do
that I'll break out the sawzall or chainsaw :-)

Well, that's very odd, and I can't imagine how rivets have gotten in
there, or why. Or even what a rivet would secure to. Even if you
could get a blind rivet down the recess, and force it into the
screwhole on the pillar that's part of the front moulding, you'd
still never be able to get the rivetting
tool down there to 'pull' it. I have been mending Sony boomboxes
for 35 years, and I have never seen a model that is held together by
anything other than philips headed screws. Is it possible that
someone has replaced the screws with some having a 'security' head,
and that is fooling you into thinking that they are rivets ?

I don't have the manual for the CFD 8, but the one for the CFD 9
which I think is pretty similar, very clearly shows it being held
together by "#3" and "#4", which according to the parts list are
"SCREW +BVTP 3 x 14 TYPE2 N-S" and "SCREW +B 3 x 8"

Arfa

Its quite likely that someone in the past has damaged the screw heads
and the screwdriver just spins on them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron.
The OP contacted me direct off-group on this and it's now resolved.
:-)

Arfa

Good! Thanks for letting me know the outcome.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

No probs