Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lou lou is offline

Default power supply....

Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?
Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

Thanks!

Please cc: my email address if possible.

Louis

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
lou wrote:
Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?
Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

Should be ok. Remember car stuff is designed to work best at 13.8 volts
rather than 12. Using the lower voltage will reduce the maximum power from
the amplifier. But power supplies designed for exactly this purpose are
readily available.

Your biggest problem might be connecting the radio unit to an aerial.

Please cc: my email address if possible.

No. This is a newsgroup.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lou wrote:

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?

Yes. Try for 13.8v, though.

Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

No.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 4:43 am, lou wrote:
Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?
Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

Thanks!

Please cc: my email address if possible.

Louis

The radio will only drawl the amount of current it needs (about 1.5A)
even if you use a 4A or larger capacity power supply. That might
change if you crank the voltage much higher than the nominal 13.8V
others have mentioned but then you stand to damage the radio. No
matter what voltage you apply to the radio it won't make it sound
better but better speaker/s might.

Rush
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"rush14" wrote in message
On Jan 27, 4:43 am, lou wrote:
[...]

Although the nominal vehicle voltage is 13.8v, it is not at all unknown for
the charging system to go well beyond the accepted maximum of 14.2v -
sometimes as high as 15v. Any vehicle based radio should be able to
withstand up to 16 or 17v, without complaint. CB power supplies are
plentiful and cheap, and are specifically designed to power vehicle based
radios, in a home environment.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lou" wrote in message
Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?
Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

You can't hurt something by having more current available, the radio will
only draw what it needs. Car batteries are capable of hundreds of amps for
short periods.