Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Carver TX-2

I just got a Carver TX-2. It works great but when I use the auto-tune
it will only lock onto an even number freq. I think its set to the the
european freq standard. Does anyone know if it can be changed? I
thought there might be just a switch but I cant locate it. Thanks, Joe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I just got a Carver TX-2. It works great but when I use the auto-tune
it will only lock onto an even number freq. I think its set to the the
european freq standard. Does anyone know if it can be changed? I
thought there might be just a switch but I cant locate it. Thanks, Joe

If the unit is equipped with an AM section, see if it tunes in 9kHz
increments. If so this would confirm your theory about the Euro frequencies.

I'm not so sure this is your problem, however. The few Euro units I've seen
mostly tune in 50mHz steps on FM, unlike 100 mHz US models, but you could
still tune in a US station using such a tuner. Your tuner may have some
other issue - the discriminator out of adjustment, for example. This could
make it lock off to one side of station center frequency. Can you set the
tuning mode to "manual" (as opposed to "Auto") and get the correct frequency
to display?

If it is the Euro frequency issue, you can try pressing and holding a
certain button or say two buttons at once while plugging it in, or turning
on the power switch if it's a "hard" on-off type.
Sometimes the FM button or freq UP button while plugging in, for example.

You might get lucky.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 6:00*am, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The auto-tune works correctly on AM. On FM if the freq is 91.9 it will
lock on 92.0 but if I switch to manual I can put it on the correct
freq. Is the discriminator something I could adjust myself (I'm not a
tech)? Thanks for your help, Joe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

I'm not trying to be a net cop, but you have your numbers and units confused.
In the US, FM channels are spaced 200 KHz (not 100mHz) apart, starting at 88.1
MHz. The usual European spacing is 100 KHz (not 50 mHz). mHz is millihertz;
MHz is megahertz.

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
The frequency of an FM broadcast station (more strictly its assigned nominal
center frequency) is usually an exact multiple of 100 kHz. In most of the
Americas and the Caribbean, only odd multiples are used. In some parts of
Europe, Greenland and Africa, only even multiples are used. In Italy,
"half-channel" multiples of 50 kHz are used. There are other unusual and
obsolete standards in some countries, including 0.001, 0.01, 0.03, 0.074, and
0.3 MHz.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

That's the typical symptom of the set being set for European FM standards. Look
on the rear of the chassis for a switch that is labeled something like Chan
Spacing, (Eur)opean/US, or something similar. The switch might even be inside
the unit, so the cover might have to be removed to find it. Make sure it's on
the US or 200KHz channel spacing position. Your receiver should work properly
(unless it's malfunctioning).

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

practice, there is." *- Yogi Berra- Hide quoted text -

There's no switch on the back and I removed the cover but I could find
a switch. I'll take another look. Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
The frequency of an FM broadcast station (more strictly its assigned
nominal center frequency) is usually an exact multiple of 100 kHz. In most
of the Americas and the Caribbean, only odd multiples are used. In some
parts of Europe, Greenland and Africa, only even multiples are used. In
Italy, "half-channel" multiples of 50 kHz are used. There are other
unusual and obsolete standards in some countries, including 0.001, 0.01,
0.03, 0.074, and 0.3 MHz.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters
in the address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

I was saying that the tuners themselves were often capable of 50 kHz steps,
which was true. Channel spacing is another matter.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

BTW I am indeed rather ignorant of tuning steps used wordwide. I still
think the OP's got a discriminator problem, however. Station spacing at
100mHz intervals would not prevent a tuner from auto-seeking to say
107.3mHz, while I have personally seen discriminator problems do exactly
this, stopping instead at say 103.8 meg.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 9:14*am, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in m...

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

I found the switch to change freq from US to Europe on the inside of
the unit but that was not the problem. It was set to US. I think you
might be right about the discriminator adjustment. Do have any advise
on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

But your previous post said "50 mHz." 50 milli-Hertz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 10:48*am, Don Bowey wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

But your previous post said "50 mHz." *50 milli-Hertz.- Hide quoted text -

I have determined that the freq step setting is not the problem. I
think it might be the discriminator adjustment. Does anyone have any
advise on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

If you don't have the service information on this unit, either get a copy of the
manual or take it to a qualified service shop. They will be able to properly
diagnose the problem, and make repairs or adjust it properly.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

If the step setting is correct, the discriminator should not require any
adjustment.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 2:14*pm, Don Bowey wrote:
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

adjustment.- Hide quoted text -

What else could cause the auto-tune to lock off freq?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Low - no reception, such as a defective front end, or a bad 7.2 Mhz crystal.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

There are usually two test points near the discriminator transformer; one
uses a DC millivoltmeter across these two, and adjsts the discriminator
primary for (near) zero volts while tuned to a station near 98 Mhz.

A service manual is usually required, as the discriminator secondary affects
the audio distortion, and you can't tell the players without a scorecard...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Thanks for your help. Joe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/27/08 12:18 PM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..
..
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

I have neither the schematics nor the service manual for it, and guessing
would be a waste of time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/27/08 12:23 PM, in article
, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..
..
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Yawn!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 12:23 PM, in article
, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..
.
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Hmmm. Correct answer is boring, as opposed to your half-baked incorrect
response which was not?

Interesting.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:27:11 -0800, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 1/27/08 12:23 PM, in article
, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..
.
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

As someone who worked for a Carver warranty station, I can say that
Mark is 100% correct in his diagnosis. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Not to be picky, Mark, but it is MHz and KHz. A mHz is .000001 Hz
(277.778 hours per cycle) and a kHz is .001 Hz (16.667 seconds per
cycle).

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/28/08 7:54 AM, in article ,
"Chuck" wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:27:11 -0800, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 1/27/08 12:23 PM, in article
, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..

.
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

Nonsense. I don't care where you worked.

Your analysis is simplistic. There are at least several other things that
are more likely.

Why do you discount that the front end or an intermittent stage may be dead
so no signals are even getting to the discriminator?

Why do you discount that there may be problems with the power supply and/or
circuit using the tuning voltage?

There is NO reason at all to assume the discriminator has mysteriously
become detuned. You guys hang out on Wiki too much.

Having the OP randomly tweak controls is an excellent way to screw things
up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/28/08 7:54 AM, in article ,
"Chuck" wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:27:11 -0800, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 1/27/08 12:23 PM, in article
, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 1/27/08 8:36 AM, in article
,

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

..

.
[...]

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
[...]

See it all the time. This is the voice of experience. They do not
"mysteriously" become detuned. It is a digital circuit controlling an analog
signal, and dependent on analog components, which age and slowly change
value by enough to cause this problem. Anyone who works on this stuff for a
living can tell you that. I already suggested the other things that can
cause this problem - low or missing signal strength, and a bad 7.2 Mhz
crystal.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I'll try to remember - getting old...

mz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

Not to be picky, Mark, but it is MHz and KHz. A mHz is .000001 Hz
(277.778 hours per cycle) and a kHz is .001 Hz (16.667 seconds per
cycle).

A correction to a correction...

Many years ago, it was KHz. When the decision was made that unit
abbreviations would be capitalized only when they were derived from names
(eg, hertz and Hz), KHz gradually became kHz. The latter is now common
usage.

MHz remained MHz, because m has always represented "milli". MHz is
megahertz, mHz is millihertz.

While we're at it, let's note that S represents siemens, s represents
seconds. mS is millisiemens, not milliseconds.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Not to be picky, Mark, but it is MHz and KHz. A mHz is .000001 Hz
(277.778 hours per cycle) and a kHz is .001 Hz (16.667 seconds per
cycle).

Now Mike ... I agree with you about capital letters for Mega and Kilo.
But I'm pretty sure that mHz is milli-Hz, not micro-Hz.

Bill

Amazing Carver charlieb Woodworking 5 November 27th 07 06:48 PM
Carver PM-1.5 Amp Help bytraper Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 12:33 PM
Help with Carver DTL50, Vintage CDPlayer Stephen A Vicinanza Electronics Repair 11 July 5th 05 05:49 AM
Carver TX 11a Tuner John Keiser Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 05 01:10 PM
Carver PM-200 Greg M Electronics Repair 3 November 30th 04 12:50 PM