Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] joemanenti@yahoo.com is offline

Default Carver TX-2

On Jan 27, 9:14*am, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in m...

"DaveM" wrote in message
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
I just got a Carver TX-2. It works great but when I use the auto-tune
it will only lock onto an even number freq. I think its set to the the
european freq standard. Does anyone know if it can be changed? I
thought there might be just a switch but I cant locate it. Thanks, Joe

If the unit is equipped with an AM section, see if it tunes in 9kHz
increments. If so this would confirm your theory about the Euro
frequencies.

I'm not so sure this is your problem, however. The few Euro units I've
seen mostly tune in 50mHz steps on FM, unlike 100 mHz US models, but you
could still tune in a US station using such a tuner. Your tuner may have
some other issue - the discriminator out of adjustment, for example.
This could make it lock off to one side of station center frequency. Can
you set the tuning mode to "manual" (as opposed to "Auto") and get the
correct frequency to display?

If it is the Euro frequency issue, you can try pressing and holding a
certain button or say two buttons at once while plugging it in, or
turning on the power switch if it's a "hard" on-off type.
Sometimes the FM button or freq UP button while plugging in, for
example.

You might get lucky.

Mark Z.

I'm not trying to be a net cop, but you have your numbers and units
confused. In the US, FM channels are spaced 200 KHz (not 100mHz) apart,
starting at 88.1 MHz. *The usual European spacing is 100 KHz (not 50
mHz). mHz is millihertz; MHz is megahertz.

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing:
The frequency of an FM broadcast station (more strictly its assigned
nominal center frequency) is usually an exact multiple of 100 kHz. In
most of the Americas and the Caribbean, only odd multiples are used. In
some parts of Europe, Greenland and Africa, only even multiples are used.
In Italy, "half-channel" multiples of 50 kHz are used. There are other
unusual and obsolete standards in some countries, including 0.001, 0.01,
0.03, 0.074, and 0.3 MHz.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net *(Just substitute the appropriate characters

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. *In
practice, there is." *- Yogi Berra

I was saying that the tuners themselves were often capable of 50 kHz
steps, which was true. Channel spacing is another matter.

Mark Z.

BTW I am indeed rather ignorant of *tuning steps used wordwide. I still
think the OP's got a discriminator problem, however. Station spacing at
100mHz intervals would not prevent a tuner from auto-seeking to say
107.3mHz, while I have personally seen discriminator problems do exactly
this, stopping instead at say 103.8 meg.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

I found the switch to change freq from US to Europe on the inside of
the unit but that was not the problem. It was set to US. I think you
might be right about the discriminator adjustment. Do have any advise
on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe