Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Home made valves

Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote:
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

I would love to know some of the properties of those
remarkable tubes
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fascinating footage and skills!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Ron(UK) wrote:
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

Thanks for the post; very inspiring. For anyone wishing to learn more,
the author's website is:
http://paillard.claude.free.fr/

Also, you can access the video more simply he
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x3wrzo

(just the flash player, no baggage).

If you wish to save the video, make sure your browser's cache has at least
60MB free space; when the video has concluded playing, look for a file
of size 57,195,733 bytes. Copy this to 'filename.flv' and play it in
VLC, or any flv player.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

Thats an amazing video. He must have buit them in the past at a factory to
be so skilled. Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

Fascinating. But I shudder to think of the unit cost. Viva mass production.

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

Thats an amazing video. He must have buit them in the past at a factory to
be so skilled. Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it.

Guys like that make me feel guilty about occupying space on the planet.
As far as working at a factory, I'd guess no, or he'd be so tired of it
that he wouldn't do it for a hobby. But I wouldn't be surprised if the
level of sophistication of his tools and methods is on a par with how
tubes really are made in Eastern Europe. I think some of those countries
are still building weapons with tube electronics.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is that guy in Poland? There is a guy in Poland who builds some
valves.Russia still uses vacuum tubes for some things.Perhaps China does
too.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote in message
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

What was the small hinged halved chamber , he used a few times? - for
annealing the glass ?

I did not follow the getter process.
Would someone have to be licensed to get hold of barium, caesium ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

N Cook wrote:
snip --- why does everyone persist on quoting that absurd Italian
URL when I posted the proper ones days ago?

What was the small hinged halved chamber , he used a few times? - for
annealing the glass ?

I did not follow the getter process.
Would someone have to be licensed to get hold of barium, caesium ?

Here is a repost of the reference:
Thanks for the post; very inspiring. For anyone wishing to learn more,
the author's website is:
http://paillard.claude.free.fr/

Also, you can access the video more simply he
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x3wrzo

(just the flash player, no baggage).

If you wish to save the video, make sure your browser's cache has at least
60MB free space; when the video has concluded playing, look for a file
of size 57,195,733 bytes. Copy this to 'filename.flv' and play it in
VLC, or any flv player.

You can download an amazing collection of pdf 'books' which thoroughly
describe the process, equipment and also provide history, circuit
diagrams, performance data, etc. This author has done a prodigious
job and seems to have little recognition on the 'net.

You can also look up his callsign, F2FO, on callsign database sites
such as 'qrz.com'

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

About two or three something years ago, somebody in the
rec.antiques.radio+phono newsgroup posted a URL about a guy in Poland (I
think it is Poland) who builds his own vacuum tubes.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
About two or three something years ago, somebody in the
rec.antiques.radio+phono newsgroup posted a URL about a guy in Poland (I
think it is Poland) who builds his own vacuum tubes.
cuhulin

He's built some Nixie tubes as well, there's been some discussion on the
yahoo group neonixie-l of which he's a member.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Ron(UK) wrote in message
Interesting bit of footage here of a guy making his own vacuum tubes

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...pe-triode_tech

Ron

What was the small hinged halved chamber , he used a few times? - for
annealing the glass ?

I did not follow the getter process.
Would someone have to be licensed to get hold of barium, caesium ?

I took that to be an annealing chamber. As far as the 'gettering' process
went, as far as I could see, he used induction heating to bring the anode up
to white heat, whilst running the vacuum pump to evacuate the envelope. I
would guess that this 'burns off' any remaining molecules of gas, or
possibly chemically traps them in the surface of the anode, but will not
leave a chemically active gettering 'splash' on the inside of the glass as
you would normally see, so I suppose over a period of years, the valve will
very slowly become soft, but maybe not enough to severely affect its
characteristics. I know that such chemicals as barium and strontium in oxide
form, are used to coat the cathodes of indirectly heated valves to enhance
electron emission, but I thought that the contents of a 'traditional'
gettering ring, were little more than magnesium ?

I wonder how much current the filament was drawing, to get it up to the
point of sufficient emission ? Certainly, the valves lit up like torch
bulbs, when in use. Did you notice the pair of fans on the QRP transmitter ?
The spot welding machine was interesting too. Looked as though it may have
started life as a small flypress.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

"N Cook" wrote in message

Ron(UK) wrote in message

snip
What was the small hinged halved chamber , he used a few times? - for
annealing the glass ?

I did not follow the getter process.
Would someone have to be licensed to get hold of barium, caesium ?

I took that to be an annealing chamber.

snip

I wonder how much current the filament was drawing,

snip

Please see my posts in this thread (author 'msg') and all will be answered ;-)
(download the remarkably well-done pdf 'books' from the tube (valve) maker's
website which provide copious detail and data).

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Its always been a mystery to me how they get a ring of pins through the
envelope and remain gastight for decades.
I see he got around it by going linear and just squashing a tube down to
that line of pins and then wiring out to a conventional ring of pins base
format.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

HOME MADE Hasipups Home Repair 0 September 19th 07 08:51 AM
Home Made Kiln? KarlB Woodturning 8 April 16th 07 11:31 AM
Home Made Lathe Richard Holub Woodworking 7 December 16th 05 06:49 PM
Home made UPS... Day Brown Electronics 14 August 10th 05 12:07 AM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM