Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Holub

Default Home Made Lathe

I am in the process of building a simple lathe out of scrap old machine
parts. I have no idea on what the basic tools I will need to get started.
Any comments on what cheap (HA!) tools I might look into?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
I am in the process of building a simple lathe out of scrap old machine
parts. I have no idea on what the basic tools I will need to get started.
Any comments on what cheap (HA!) tools I might look into?

For what a used Craftsman costs, why bother?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I think the OP is asking about what kinds of tools he'll need once he
gets the lathe built - I'd be curious about the same thing.
Andy

Ask at rec.crafts.woodturning

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think the OP is asking about what kinds of tools he'll need once he
gets the lathe built - I'd be curious about the same thing.
Andy

That would depend somewhat on what he is going to turn. A 24" deep vase
needs didfferent tools than a pen.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
I am in the process of building a simple lathe out of scrap old machine
parts. I have no idea on what the basic tools I will need to get started.
Any comments on what cheap (HA!) tools I might look into?

Get one of the six or eight-piece sets commonly sold. They include at least
a couple of gouges, a parting tool, a skew or two, and two or three
scrapers. I'd get the one with the most gouges and least scrapers, as the
best thing to do after the initial learning curve is to modify them into
cutting tools anyway.

"Spindle" orientation is pretty much taken care of by these, which may be
carbon steel to save dollars or high-speed which resist heat damage better.
If you turn at slower speeds, there's little need for HSS, because there's
less heat. You can always buy HSS in the tools you use most or heat most
once you figure out what they are.

For faceplate work you'll want a "bowl" gouge, which any more is a longer
and deeper flute version of what sells as a spindle gouge. I like a
broad-bottomed U versus V ground flute, some don't. Goes by the way you
cut. One is enough, because all your other tools can be used as well, even
the chintzy thin scrapers if you care to. Just keep the toolrest tight as
possible. Second rule of turning, actually. First is stand out of harm's
way.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

On the assumption that you're building a lathe because you can, and
therefore you don't want to turn only small stuff like pens, the really
cheap 8-pc import sets you see on eBay for 20 bucks are as cheap as they
get. You'll spend more time grinding and sharpening them than turning,
however. Which may not be a bad thing! You might want an expendable set
of tools for the purpose of learning how to do it right before
committing a decent, $100 tool to your grindstone.

You can also find on eBay sets of older Craftsman or Delta tools that
are better quality and not much more expensive. These will last you to
the point where you're knowledgeable enough and sufficiently hooked on
turning to want to plunk down $60 or more per tool.

Absolutely must-have items: A book on how to turn wood safely. One of
many is Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course". You will be sorry
someday if you don't read it or something equivalent.

Can't-live-without items: 3/4 roughing gouge, 1/2 and 1/4 spindle
gouges, parting tool, 1750 rpm bench grinder.

Specialty must-have items: bowl gouge (only if you're going to hollow
out bowls, goblets)

The rest will naturally fall into place as you go along.

Good luck,

J.

Richard Holub wrote:
I am in the process of building a simple lathe out of scrap old machine
parts. I have no idea on what the basic tools I will need to get started.
Any comments on what cheap (HA!) tools I might look into?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Richard Holub wrote:
I am in the process of building a simple lathe out of scrap old machine
parts. I have no idea on what the basic tools I will need to get started.
Any comments on what cheap (HA!) tools I might look into?

Are you documenting this machine on a website? I'd love to see it.

I built a 22" drum sander last year. One of the coolest machines in my
collection

http://www.areddy.net/wood/tools.html