Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need Marantz 1250 repaired in Pittsburgh area.

I had a loyal client move from Southern California to Pittsburgh. She has a
Marantz 1250 power amp. I serviced it a few times for intermittent popping
noises and signal drop outs. She called and says now it has developed a
constant hum (audio still works). Shipping the amp back to me would be quite
costly so I was wondering if anybody could recommend someone in the
Pittsburgh neighborhood for hopefully an uncomplicated repair.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
I had a loyal client move from Southern California to Pittsburgh. She has a
Marantz 1250 power amp. I serviced it a few times for intermittent popping
noises and signal drop outs. She called and says now it has developed a
constant hum (audio still works). Shipping the amp back to me would be
quite
costly so I was wondering if anybody could recommend someone in the
Pittsburgh neighborhood for hopefully an uncomplicated repair.

Thanks for your reply.

**1250? Do you mean 250? The old US made thing?

Trevor Wilson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"David Farber" wrote in message
I had a loyal client move from Southern California to Pittsburgh. She has

Marantz 1250 power amp. I serviced it a few times for intermittent

popping
noises and signal drop outs. She called and says now it has developed a
constant hum (audio still works). Shipping the amp back to me would be
quite
costly so I was wondering if anybody could recommend someone in the
Pittsburgh neighborhood for hopefully an uncomplicated repair.

Thanks for your reply.

**1250? Do you mean 250? The old US made thing?

Trevor Wilson

No, it is definitely a 1250, another old US made (I think) amp. The date on
the service manual fiche I have is 1976. I found this pic on the web:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/pics/1250.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
L.A., CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

**I don't have the manual for that model, but it is definitely Japanese
made. I suspect it uses the output stages from the 2325 receiver. The
popping noises are probably (if it is confined to the power amp) related to
the varistors on the heat sinks. These were notoriously unreliable at the
time in the 2325.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I think you're missing the point here. I am looking for someone in the
Pittsburgh neighborhood to service this amp. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply.