Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Plasma glow question

We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5
hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on
it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels
and emitting some phospherescence or sthng???
Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing..
ANyone know why?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:17:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5
hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on
it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels
and emitting some phospherescence or sthng???
Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing..
ANyone know why?

Well, remember those old radium watch dials...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article 96718885-8676-449a-9334-b08dc9ce5830
@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says...
We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5
hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on
it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels
and emitting some phospherescence or sthng???
Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing..
ANyone know why?

Residual static charge? If it's cold where you are, do you have a
humidifier? Plasma TV's need to keep the electrodes slightly charged to
get a picture. Maybe your TV keeps them charged even when the TV is
'off' for a faster startup?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_tv

Reminds me of what I used to do with a CRT TV years ago. I would close
my eyes for awhile to get dark adjusted. I would then turn off the TV.
You can then 'draw' on the screen with your finger for awhile.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Another fine trick with CRT Monitors and Teles, Very dark room, take any
flashlight and hold it against the face of the crt, shine the flashlight
into the crt and then switch it off. The light from the flashlight will
excite the phospher in the coating of the crt and make it glow, with a pen
light you can even write your name or a message on the screen.
electro-luminescence?? Cheers
"Andrew Rossmann" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5
hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on
it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels
and emitting some phospherescence or sthng???
Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing..
ANyone know why?

Turned off the cable box but not the tv?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Make sure your TV is being properly powered down, and it is not in a
standby mode.

The Plasma TV uses phosphors in the lumination cells. The phosphor in
the cells is activated by UV rays that is generated from effect of the
gas being ionized. After switching off, these cells may glow for a few
minutes. The glowing effect should fade over a number of minutes
until the next time the set is used.

Some CRT sets will have phosphor glow for a few minutes after
switching off. You can see this effect in a darkened room.

Information about Plasma display technology:
http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_120.html