Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default Plasma glow question

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article 96718885-8676-449a-9334-b08dc9ce5830
@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says...
We just got a new Plasma TV last night. We had the TV on for about 5
hrs and then turned off and went to bed. There was a strange glow on
it. I thought it was just the electrons going down the energy levels
and emitting some phospherescence or sthng???
Anyway, I woke up at 5 30 AM and it was still glowing..
ANyone know why?

Residual static charge? If it's cold where you are, do you have a
humidifier? Plasma TV's need to keep the electrodes slightly charged to
get a picture. Maybe your TV keeps them charged even when the TV is
'off' for a faster startup?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_tv

Reminds me of what I used to do with a CRT TV years ago. I would close
my eyes for awhile to get dark adjusted. I would then turn off the TV.
You can then 'draw' on the screen with your finger for awhile.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross