Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Betamax SL-HF750 problem. HELP!

I have a Sony Betamax SL-HF750 with a problem. This is the model where
the tape loader is in a drawer that skates out like a CD player does.
The wormdrive motor starts and stops so the drawer wont come open. No
foreign objects or broken parts visible under the hood. Any clues for
how to fix it? My tech and I are baffled.
Harvey

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"rockinnomo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Sony Betamax SL-HF750 with a problem. This is the model where
the tape loader is in a drawer that skates out like a CD player does.
The wormdrive motor starts and stops so the drawer wont come open. No
foreign objects or broken parts visible under the hood. Any clues for
how to fix it? My tech and I are baffled.
Harvey

I had one of these with the same problem many years ago. I gave up on it and
the customer wound up sending into Sony for repair. I think Sony replaced
the entire mechanism. As with any mechanical problem, you have to get a
clear view of the moving parts. With the unit unplugged, try putting a few
volts dc on the wormdrive motor and take note of where it jams. Then you
need to disassemble the mechanism until you can see where it is hanging.
That may involve removing much of the mechanism as I recall. You should also
consider that there is a good chance that any gear, arm, or other part will
no longer be available.

Good luck.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is another possibility, though it's unlikely.

The mechanism presumably has a sensor or switch that detects when the drawer
is jammed. It's possible the switch is stuck or hanging.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:17:33 -0800, rockinnomo
wrote:

I have a Sony Betamax SL-HF750 with a problem. This is the model where
the tape loader is in a drawer that skates out like a CD player does.
The wormdrive motor starts and stops so the drawer wont come open. No
foreign objects or broken parts visible under the hood. Any clues for
how to fix it? My tech and I are baffled.
Harvey

There's a switch near the motor which detects whether it's open, or
closed. Definitely check this. The worm gear can crack where it's
pressed onto the motor shaft. Check the wiring to the motor and
sensor switch.
Andy Cuffe