Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV turns on and off when you walk in front of it

My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 9 oct, 16:17, wrote:
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

dry joint in the power supply probably. open it up and inspect the pcb
or if you dont feel comfortable with that , take t to a shop, just
don't nurse it along as it is probably stressing expensive parts. get
it looked at pronto.

-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article , Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 07:17:20 -0700, rufovillosum wrote:

My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

Well your choices are A.Don't walk in front of it. B. If you don't have
any experience working on a tv, take it to be serviced. I think it has a
loose connection inside that you vibrate when you walk past.

I have one that sometimes you need to bang on it to make it work.
I never tried jumping up and down.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

First thing to try is put a piece of tape over the IR sensor on the TV then
walk in front of it. If it still power cycles, then the problem is
mechanical, dry joint or an issue with the power button.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"G" wrote in message
In article , Meat Plow
wrote:
[...]

Quit banging on it and have the dry joint(s) resoldered before it becomes a
much larger problem. It's a simple fix right now.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13

Hello Troll,

posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 9, 12:58 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

First thing to try is put a piece of tape over the IR sensor on the TV then
walk in front of it. If it still power cycles, then the problem is
mechanical, dry joint or an issue with the power button.

Problem goes away when sensor is covered securely. Jumping or banging
on TV has no effect.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 9, 12:58 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Do you have compact or otherwise electronically ballasted fluorescent lamps
in the room? Does the problem occur with them turned off?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Assuming this isn't a troll...

My Sony 8mm VCR was sometimes affected by a fluorescent lamp in the same
room. It's remotely (ar, ar) possible that when anyone walks near the set,
their clothing reflects light from a fluorescent lamp into the sensor. (Most
objects reflect IR fairly well.)

It's highly unlikely body heat is doing it!

Turn off all the lights in the room.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

b writes:

On 9 oct, 16:17, wrote:
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

dry joint in the power supply probably. open it up and inspect the pcb
or if you dont feel comfortable with that , take t to a shop, just
don't nurse it along as it is probably stressing expensive parts. get
it looked at pronto.

To clarify, most likely what's happening is that you're shifting it
physically and that's breaking a connection, it's not your aura.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

Wow. All these replies, but I think I've got the right one. I have seen
numerous examples of flaky front-panel tact-switches in these. Often the
volume or channel will change by itself but the power is just as likely.

Mark Z.