Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default TV turns on and off when you walk in front of it

On 9 oct, 16:17, wrote:
My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

dry joint in the power supply probably. open it up and inspect the pcb
or if you dont feel comfortable with that , take t to a shop, just
don't nurse it along as it is probably stressing expensive parts. get
it looked at pronto.

-B