Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY VHS VCR SLV-SE730 NICAM DROPPING OUT

Hi

My last-ever VCR is a Sony SLV-SE730 and wouldn't you know it, just as
I am about to transfer my last VHS's to DVD, the Nicam starts dropping
out. Otherwise the VCR is in fine condition.

Symptom: most of the time the audio plays as mono, but occasionally
Nicam starts working, usually with faint repeated clicks in the
background and a reduction in volume.

I know its not the tapes themselves, since tapes that I previously
transferred OK now show the problem. The audio head is clean and
unworn.

Looking at the circuit board, there are just a few all-in-one chips
and no pots to for me to tweak.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can look at to fix this?
Failing that, can anyone point me to a downloadable circuit diagram or
service manual?

Cheers, Marty

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"martinlith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My last-ever VCR is a Sony SLV-SE730 and wouldn't you know it, just as
I am about to transfer my last VHS's to DVD, the Nicam starts dropping
out. Otherwise the VCR is in fine condition.

Symptom: most of the time the audio plays as mono, but occasionally
Nicam starts working, usually with faint repeated clicks in the
background and a reduction in volume.

I know its not the tapes themselves, since tapes that I previously
transferred OK now show the problem. The audio head is clean and
unworn.

Looking at the circuit board, there are just a few all-in-one chips
and no pots to for me to tweak.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can look at to fix this?
Failing that, can anyone point me to a downloadable circuit diagram or
service manual?

Cheers, Marty

its not nicam dropping out, its the hi fi audio track which is recorded
within the video signal not the audio signal.

try the tracking control

dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 27, 7:42 pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

dave- Hide quoted text -

Silly me, Dave is right of course about the NICAM track. However the
video heads are good, picture playback is excellent and manual
tracking adjustment doen't solve it. Any more ideas please?

Cheers, Marty

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

martinlith wrote:

On Sep 27, 7:42 pm, "Dave" wrote:

"martinlith" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

The video heads may be good but the audio heads on the head drum can be
dirty or worn. Start with a proper cleaning.