Alex C

Default Sony STR-DE875 Channels Dropping Out

I have had a Sony STR-DE875 amplifier for nearly two problem free
years. It now seems that a couple of channels are dropping out
occasionally predominantly with the centre speaker although there is a
very noticable degredation of sound accross the the front three
speakers.

I have done the test tones when the channels have dropped and the
centre one is completely missing at this point.

There is also an intermittant audible "click" when the unit has failed
much like the click when the unit is switched on.

I do have two units on top of the amp (sky and dvd) but these have
always been there and have not caused any problems in the past. I have
seen a few messages that mention overheating but why would the unit be
overheating now and not before.

Many thanks

Alex
John

"Alex C" wrote in message
om...
I have had a Sony STR-DE875 amplifier for nearly two problem free
years. It now seems that a couple of channels are dropping out
occasionally predominantly with the centre speaker although there is a
very noticable degredation of sound accross the the front three
speakers.

I have done the test tones when the channels have dropped and the
centre one is completely missing at this point.

There is also an intermittant audible "click" when the unit has failed
much like the click when the unit is switched on.

I do have two units on top of the amp (sky and dvd) but these have
always been there and have not caused any problems in the past. I have
seen a few messages that mention overheating but why would the unit be
overheating now and not before.

Many thanks

Alex

Check the pre amp ic's for dry joints

Mark D. Zacharias

Solder connection(s) at one or more relays? I was going to suggest solder
connections at the rear panel, which ought to be checked anyway, but the
reference to the "click" made me think of the relay.

Mark Z.

"Alex C" wrote in message
om...
I have had a Sony STR-DE875 amplifier for nearly two problem free
years. It now seems that a couple of channels are dropping out
occasionally predominantly with the centre speaker although there is a
very noticable degredation of sound accross the the front three
speakers.

I have done the test tones when the channels have dropped and the
centre one is completely missing at this point.

There is also an intermittant audible "click" when the unit has failed
much like the click when the unit is switched on.

I do have two units on top of the amp (sky and dvd) but these have
always been there and have not caused any problems in the past. I have
seen a few messages that mention overheating but why would the unit be
overheating now and not before.

Many thanks

Alex

jakdedert

--
Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and
spam have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.

"Alex C" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would definitely rearrange your setup. It could be that the cumulative
effect of long term, low grade overheating has caused your
problem...assuming it's internal. The very first thing I would check,
however, is all every speaker connection. Sounds stupid, but one little
'whisker' of wire protruding out of a speaker connector shorting against the
chassis 'could' cause your symptoms. Likewise a loose screw terminal; or
corrosion or weak spring on a spring terminal.

I've seen all of the above...in a addition to people inserting the insulated
portion of the lead into a spring terminal. The wire itself was not
actually clamped, but was 'just' touching internally--enough to 'usually'
work.

jak

jakdedert

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
All true, but in this case it is likely just a tendency in these
units for the solder joints to crack. We see them frequently.

Probably exacerbated by the lack of circulation in the setup he
describes.....

jak
Leonard

"jakdedert" wrote in message
news
Alex C wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Solder connection(s) at one or more relays? I was going to suggest
solder connections at the rear panel, which ought to be checked
anyway, but the reference to the "click" made me think of the
relay.

Mark Z.

--
Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and
spam have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.

"Alex C" wrote in message
om...
[...]

LASERandDVDfan

All true, but in this case it is likely just a tendency in these units for
the solder joints to crack. We see them frequently.

Leonard

I'm willing to bet you're right. I've noticed with some Sony stuff that quite
a few solder joints are not done very well, usually having too little solder to
maintain a reliable connection of a component to a circuit after sometime. -
Reinhart