Old September 18th 07, 07:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
ken ken is offline

Default How to Correct Poor Hard Drive Power Connector Contacts?

Have a Hard Drive (HD) that makes a very loose contact with the power
connector. At first thought it was dead but changed PCs and it is
OK. Also some other Good HDs have start up problems with this PCs
power connector.

Normally when the HD does not show in the BIOS on startup I shut down
the PC, then I move the power connector and restarted the PC and the
HD starts OK.

Am wondering if can wiggle the power connector while the PC is going
or can this damage either the HD or power supply?

Am also wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was
done to solve it?

Should mention that the PC with this problem is inexpensive so am
wondering if the contacts are corroded so the resistance is increased
or if the contacts have just become loose from changing HDs? Maybe
both?

Thanks

Ken

Old September 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow inscribed thus:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:22 -0700, ken wrote:

[...]

Those kind of connectors will suffer from frequent use. I would try
to crimp the contacts in the plug so they fit tighter around the
pins in the drive jack.

Actually this problem so common that I turned a brass rod with a
tapered bore that I can push over the pin to compress and/or remove
it. The other problem that occurs is that the retaining tabs get
bent or broken, so the the pin becomes offset and pushed back.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old September 18th 07, 09:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Another means of repair, if you have the ability, is to actually cut the
cable at the connector, attach a known good connector to the existing wires,
securely solder and apply insulating tape to the new connections.
This is a viable fix, the other means would be replace the power supply,
the new supply will come with new connectors attached.
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:52:04 +0100, Baron wrote:

[...]

Yes that's another problem, the pin tabs. Not really designed for heavy
usage.

Old September 19th 07, 03:58 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:22 -0700, ken wrote:

Have a Hard Drive (HD) that makes a very loose contact with the power
connector. At first thought it was dead but changed PCs and it is
OK. Also some other Good HDs have start up problems with this PCs
power connector.

Normally when the HD does not show in the BIOS on startup I shut down
the PC, then I move the power connector and restarted the PC and the
HD starts OK.

Am wondering if can wiggle the power connector while the PC is going
or can this damage either the HD or power supply?

Am also wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was
done to solve it?

Use a contact extractor such as # W-HT-2054 STD For .093 Pins
http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm to remove the problem
contact. Then use pliers to "tighten up" the socket contact.

Should mention that the PC with this problem is inexpensive so am
wondering if the contacts are corroded so the resistance is increased
or if the contacts have just become loose from changing HDs? Maybe
both?

The reason the contacts are loose is because of their mediocre
quality. The original AMP contacts did not exhibit this problem.

Thanks

Ken

Old September 19th 07, 04:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
ken ken is offline

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like this is a common problem which
gets worse with age.

Art thanks for the suggestion "attach a known good connector to the
existing wires," I think will be able to do this.

As a result, would be interested to find out what are considered the
best power connectors for the std PC HardDrives.

Thanks

Ken

Old September 19th 07, 06:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art wrote:

Another means of repair, if you have the ability, is to actually cut the
cable at the connector, attach a known good connector to the existing wires,
securely solder and apply insulating tape to the new connections.
This is a viable fix, the other means would be replace the power supply,
the new supply will come with new connectors attached.

It's easy enough to fit new contacts if you have the right tools. That's much
easier.

Graham

Old September 19th 07, 06:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy wrote:

The reason the contacts are loose is because of their mediocre
quality. The original AMP contacts did not exhibit this problem.

I have experienced various 'Asian equivalents' of genuine Amp/Molex etc parts
and the quality (especially contact pressure) leaves a lot to be desired.

Graham

Old September 19th 07, 07:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

ken inscribed thus:

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like this is a common problem which
gets worse with age.

Art thanks for the suggestion "attach a known good connector to the
existing wires," I think will be able to do this.

As a result, would be interested to find out what are considered the
best power connectors for the std PC HardDrives.

Thanks

Ken

AS someone else said the original Amp connectors were the best, but
even those suffer from repeated connect/dis-connect use. Maplin do
keep the male & female pins and housings! But you really need the
proper crimp tools to make best use of them.

If you are into salvage old dead PSU get thrown away daily, they are a
good source of connectors. A bit of three way terminal strip and you
are good to go.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old September 20th 07, 06:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
ken ken is offline

Baron,

Thanks for the tip "If you are into salvage old dead PSU get thrown
away daily, they are a good source of connectors."

All the "dead PSUs" I have seen are "cheap" ones so wouldn't they have
cheap connectors?

Ken

Old September 20th 07, 06:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

ken ) writes:
Baron,

Thanks for the tip "If you are into salvage old dead PSU get thrown
away daily, they are a good source of connectors."

All the "dead PSUs" I have seen are "cheap" ones so wouldn't they have
cheap connectors?

Ken

The point is that those connectors are hardly in constant use. I
was doing a lot of plugging and unplugging with one computer recently,
but I was moving drives to it to transfer their content to the main drive.
I've had this Pentium I'm writing on for four years, and the only time
I've unplugged the power connectors was when I put in a bigger drive,
and switched the two CD drives.

Chances are good that some random connector taken of some scrap
power supply is still in good shape.

Michael