Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default How to Correct Poor Hard Drive Power Connector Contacts?

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:22 -0700, ken wrote:

Have a Hard Drive (HD) that makes a very loose contact with the power
connector. At first thought it was dead but changed PCs and it is
OK. Also some other Good HDs have start up problems with this PCs
power connector.

Normally when the HD does not show in the BIOS on startup I shut down
the PC, then I move the power connector and restarted the PC and the
HD starts OK.

Am wondering if can wiggle the power connector while the PC is going
or can this damage either the HD or power supply?

Am also wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was
done to solve it?

Use a contact extractor such as # W-HT-2054 STD For .093 Pins
http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm to remove the problem
contact. Then use pliers to "tighten up" the socket contact.

Should mention that the PC with this problem is inexpensive so am
wondering if the contacts are corroded so the resistance is increased
or if the contacts have just become loose from changing HDs? Maybe
both?

The reason the contacts are loose is because of their mediocre
quality. The original AMP contacts did not exhibit this problem.

Thanks

Ken