Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Original Nintendo

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow writes:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:48:45 -0300, Kevin Dooks wrote:

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Go to google.come and search using nintendo repair as key words.

Clean the cartridge connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And check/replace any near-by electrolytic caps..IIRC,the big one near
the regulator would dry up from the heat and cause issues.
I think I read something about another small cap in there too,near the
RF modulator,not entirely sure..it's been a few years. ;-)

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Meat Plow writes:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:48:45 -0300, Kevin Dooks wrote:

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Go to google.come and search using nintendo repair as key words.

Clean the cartridge connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Clean the cartridge connector.

Both cartridge connector and slot, i had trouble with that even
when that type of console was 6 months old.

Cheetah
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Kevin Dooks" wrote in message
Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Replace the cartridge connector, this is a *very* common problem, I've been
through at least 3 connectors in the decades since I got my NES.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Kevin Dooks wrote:
Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Replace the 72-pin connector. Easy, and a sure-fire
cure for the blinking light problem. Available on eBay.
Look for a kit that includes a cleaner and a tool for
dismantling the game carts, otherwise all the crap on
the game connectors will transfer to the new part.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Ok, some more info. The PCB is out of the case, the cartridge
connector is unplugged from the board, the 2200u/25V cap has been
replaced along with the 2 smaller electrolytics in the PS. All the
'dry' plate-thrus have been soldered and the gum label on the board by
the cart. connector has been removed, (I have had problems with the
glue becoming conductive over time in the past) .

All of the conductors on the cart. connector have 0 ohms end to end
and a resistance between adjacent conductors of 30 meg.

Still have the blinking display/power LED.

Am I missing something REALLY obvious (Can't see the forrest 'cuse of
all these darn trees !) or am I just a bit dim .

Kevin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just replace the connector, trust us, you can't test it like that, the
problem is poor contact between it and the game cartridge. I've never once
seen this problem that wasn't caused by a bad connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it was working and then put into storage, the connector didn't go bad
sitting around. It still could be dirty contacts inside.

Also clean the contacts on the game cartridges.

Or, as suggested, just replace it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mmm, Ok, I will replace the cart. connector but it (the cart.
connector) is NOT ATTACHED TO THE PCB and I still get the flashing
video output/power LED.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit slow.

Kevin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The flashing just means it cant boot the game. So, if almost any of the
pins isn't making good contact, you get the flashing. With the connector
removed, well, duh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ok, sorry for being dim, I thought you would just get a blank raster
with no cartridge installed. Today I learned something new.

Thanks.

Kevin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mmm, Ok, I will replace the cart. connector but it (the cart.
connector) is NOT ATTACHED TO THE PCB and I still get the flashing
video output/power LED.

That's expected behavior, the LED will flash whenever it cannot boot.