Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Original Nintendo

"Kevin Dooks" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:48:45 -0300, Kevin Dooks
wrote:

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a
problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today
just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output
flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's
producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone
have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental
reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Ok, some more info. The PCB is out of the case, the cartridge
connector is unplugged from the board, the 2200u/25V cap has been
replaced along with the 2 smaller electrolytics in the PS. All the
'dry' plate-thrus have been soldered and the gum label on the board by
the cart. connector has been removed, (I have had problems with the
glue becoming conductive over time in the past) .

All of the conductors on the cart. connector have 0 ohms end to end
and a resistance between adjacent conductors of 30 meg.

Still have the blinking display/power LED.

Am I missing something REALLY obvious (Can't see the forrest 'cuse of
all these darn trees !) or am I just a bit dim .

Kevin

Just replace the connector, trust us, you can't test it like that, the
problem is poor contact between it and the game cartridge. I've never once
seen this problem that wasn't caused by a bad connector.