Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default monitor shutdown

hi there again!

I am repairing an old monitor (I was not able to get the serial). But
its oldy im sure. During power on, i feel a static at the front of the
monitor. An indication of a high voltage but after a few minutes, 4
minutes i think, it suddenly shutdown. So I used my multimeter and
tested the collector of HOT. I measured a voltage but when the monitor
dies up, the voltage also disappears. I changed some bulging
capacitors but still the problem persists.I suspect the deflection
yoke but I have no yoke tester. I heard that running a monitor without
deflection yoke disconnected is not good. I am a little bit lost here
because I havent practiced it for long time now. So can anybody give
me suggestions on how to fix this problem. I know safety precautions
in electronics. I want friendly advise please. Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would doubt the deflection yoke to be bad.

Use an ESR meter, and check all the caps in the scan and power supply
sections. It is impossible to tell visually if a cap is electrically bad,
unless it had physical damage.

A common cause of a start-up, and shut down, is that there is a fault in the
high voltage regulator, any part of the power supply, or there is a scan
failure due to failed components.

The only way you will be able to fix this monitor is with proper
troubleshooting. This would take a good knowledge of electronics, experience
in monitor servicing, and the proper tools to do the work.

I would suggest you give the monitor out for an estimate. This way, you can
make an intelligent decision to know if it is worth to service, or simply
replace it. Also, when working in TV monitors, there are serious safety
issues to be considered.

--

Jerry G.
======

"yhan" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi there again!

I am repairing an old monitor (I was not able to get the serial). But
its oldy im sure. During power on, i feel a static at the front of the
monitor. An indication of a high voltage but after a few minutes, 4
minutes i think, it suddenly shutdown. So I used my multimeter and
tested the collector of HOT. I measured a voltage but when the monitor
dies up, the voltage also disappears. I changed some bulging
capacitors but still the problem persists.I suspect the deflection
yoke but I have no yoke tester. I heard that running a monitor without
deflection yoke disconnected is not good. I am a little bit lost here
because I havent practiced it for long time now. So can anybody give
me suggestions on how to fix this problem. I know safety precautions
in electronics. I want friendly advise please. Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!
An indication of a high voltage but after a few minutes, 4
minutes i think, it suddenly shutdown.

Do you have a picture during this time?
I suspect you don't. Are the CRT filaments lit?
I measured a voltage but when the monitor
dies up, the voltage also disappears.

1. NEVER Measure the HOT collector voltage with the deflection
working! You may, if you own a good old VOM with a 1500V (or greater)
scale, and ONLY IN THIS SCALE!
2. If the voltage disappears it is either a power supply problem or
the controller is shutting down sensing some other fault. Can you turn
the set back on with the power switch? do you need to press once or
twice?
I think, there is some other problem causing the micro to blank the
video and to shutdown. Maybe vertical deflection: Turn op the SCREEN
Control on the flyback (with the set on and the deflection running)
and see if you get a raster or a horizontal line.
The H-yoke is very unlikely at fault, the V-yoke is possible (in
theory) but I've never heard of a V-yoke failure. It would suspect the
Vertical output stages then (or a service switch)

Inverter shutdown occurs on Dicon/Nextview 17" LCD monitor from 455MHz rf signal. Design flaw? Jay Walling Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 06 11:25 AM
Panasonic ct-36D30B Shutdown Jeff Bujna Electronics Repair 0 October 30th 06 04:01 AM
HV shutdown BigTom Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 04 05:20 AM
NEC Plasma monitor px-42vp1a shutdown automatic andrew Electronics Repair 4 October 17th 04 12:24 AM
Panasonic TV Shutdown Electronics Repair 6 November 30th 03 06:03 PM