Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RD RD is offline

Default How To Quiet PC Power Supply--Not a Fan Problem

I have an Enlight 350W power supply that has been doing a fine job for
several years. In fact, it is still doing a good job but has recently
developed a high-pitched whining noise. It is not the cooling fan. I opened
up the supply, and the noise seems to eminate from a section containing some
good-sized toroidal transformers. There are a couple of power transistors on
large heat sinks nearby as well, so I don't know which component is the
noise source. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair this problem? I was
thinking of squirting a bunch of high temp silicone all over the components,
but thought that might not be good because it might cause the components to
heat up too much. I have a new ps on the way, but would be interested in
hearing theories on how to fix this one.

RD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
No Name

A carefully placed, non-conducting rod (a thick wooden stick
will work) gently pressed on the PS's components one at a time
should find the problem. More than likely it's one of the toroids.
Put a small dab of silicone at the base where it meets the board.

"RD" wrote in message m...
I have an Enlight 350W power supply that has been doing a fine job for
several years. In fact, it is still doing a good job but has recently
developed a high-pitched whining noise. It is not the cooling fan. I opened
up the supply, and the noise seems to eminate from a section containing some
good-sized toroidal transformers. There are a couple of power transistors on
large heat sinks nearby as well, so I don't know which component is the
noise source. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair this problem? I was
thinking of squirting a bunch of high temp silicone all over the components,
but thought that might not be good because it might cause the components to
heat up too much. I have a new ps on the way, but would be interested in
hearing theories on how to fix this one.

RD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:19:41 -0400, "RD"
wrote:

[...]

Magnetostrictive squealing often occurs in SMPS when either the

windings on a core are not tightly wound or held to the core with a
dampening compound. Also, in a ferrite transformer using E-I or
similar cores, unless the segments are properly fixed or glued
together the interface joints will allow minute movement at the
resonant frequency of the SMPS thus resulting in squeal. The only
solution is to remove the transformer and heat it to soften any
adhesive and then take the core apart, clean the faces and then
re-assemble under pressure using a good quality cyanoacrylate
(superglue).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 03:57:37 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

Magnetostrictive squealing often occurs in SMPS when either the

windings on a core are not tightly wound or held to the core with a
dampening compound. Also, in a ferrite transformer using E-I or
similar cores, unless the segments are properly fixed or glued
together the interface joints will allow minute movement at the
resonant frequency (or sub-multiple) of the SMPS thus resulting in

squeal. The only
solution is to remove the transformer and heat it to soften any
adhesive and then take the core apart, clean the faces and then
re-assemble under pressure using a good quality cyanoacrylate
(superglue).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Another procedure that tends to be rather effective, and has been used, is a
coating of clear shellac to the device in question rather than removing and
seperating the cores. We normally would take the offending item, dunk it
into the material, allow to air dry and repeat the process another two or
three times. Reinstalling the item and checking the preformance afterwards.
wrote:

Magnetostrictive squealing often occurs in SMPS when either the

windings on a core are not tightly wound or held to the core with a
dampening compound. Also, in a ferrite transformer using E-I or
similar cores, unless the segments are properly fixed or glued
together the interface joints will allow minute movement at the
resonant frequency (or sub-multiple) of the SMPS thus resulting in

squeal. The only
solution is to remove the transformer and heat it to soften any
adhesive and then take the core apart, clean the faces and then
re-assemble under pressure using a good quality cyanoacrylate
(superglue).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Art" wrote:
Another procedure that tends to be rather effective, and has been used, is a
coating of clear shellac to the device in question rather than removing and
seperating the cores. We normally would take the offending item, dunk it
into the material, allow to air dry and repeat the process another two or
three times. Reinstalling the item and checking the preformance afterwards.
"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 03:57:37 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

I know I rebuilt a transformer using shellac, but I think there is better
stuff out there. Shellac also absorbs water when just setting around.
It might initially dry quicker than a varnish.

greg