Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default How much time last a laser of a cd player Denon DCM420

Hello

How much time the laser head of a Denon DCM420 cd player are lasting ?

Thank

Gaetan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Gaetan Mailloux" wrote in message
Hello

How much time the laser head of a Denon DCM420 cd player are lasting ?

Thank

Gaetan

How long is a piece of string ?

It depends on many factors, including how often it is used, how dusty an
environment it lives in, whether it is a heavy smoking household and so on.
What's your actual problem with it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Arfa Daily" ) writes:
"Gaetan Mailloux" wrote in message
Hello

How much time the laser head of a Denon DCM420 cd player are lasting ?

Thank

Gaetan

How long is a piece of string ?

It depends on many factors, including how often it is used, how dusty an
environment it lives in, whether it is a heavy smoking household and so on.
What's your actual problem with it ?

Arfa

Hello

I want to modify my cd player, it was manufacture in 1991, I just want to
know if the laser will last many other years, so it would worth to work on
that Denon.

Thank

Gaetan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

I want to modify my cd player, it was manufacture in 1991, I just want to
know if the laser will last many other years, so it would worth to work on
that Denon.

Pray tell, exactly _what_ modification are you making that concerns you
about the laser head life?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

I want to modify my cd player, it was manufacture in 1991, I just want to
know if the laser will last many other years, so it would worth to work on
that Denon.

Pray tell, exactly _what_ modification are you making that concerns you
about the laser head life?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Hello

Changing for better Dac, changing the I/V op amp, and few other things, It
just that I don't want to do that to see the cd player laser to die after
few other months.

Gaetan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

Changing for better Dac, changing the I/V op amp, and few other things, It
just that I don't want to do that to see the cd player laser to die after
few other months.

I'm not into the golden-eared modifications, truth be said, I'm half deaf so
it's all wasted on me, however:

Aren't there pro-level CD players for this?
Or are the mods a cheaper way of doing it?

Honestly, I don't see any mod making a huge difference, is this for some
specific purpose where the analogue reproduction is more important than just
trying to impress friends with music they couldn't tell the difference on anyway?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

I want to modify my cd player, it was manufacture in 1991, I just want
know if the laser will last many other years, so it would worth to work
on
that Denon.

Pray tell, exactly _what_ modification are you making that concerns you
about the laser head life?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Hello

Changing for better Dac, changing the I/V op amp, and few other things, It
just that I don't want to do that to see the cd player laser to die after
few other months.

Gaetan

Most CD players, including Denons, have some form of digital output anyway,
so if you knock up an external DAC, it will be 'good to go' on virtually any
player. For what it's worth, I see many Denon HiFis in the workshop here,
and laser problems are not something that you would generally associate with
them (as much as many other makes). That said, some models do use very
bog-standard off-the-shelf lasers that have a finite lifetime in any
manufacturers' players, including theirs, so the answer to your question of
'when is the laser going to fail ?' could be anything between "another week
if you're lucky" and "never".

If you have the levels of expertise that are going to be needed to perform
electronic surgery on it, then I really wouldn't worry too much about about
laser life, as they are not particularly hard to change, or expensive.

Consider if you are seeing any problems with it right now before making a
decision. Is it slow to read the TOC on discs? Does it skip / jump easily
needing only a slight tap to make it do it? Does it struggle with old,
scratched discs? Does it struggle with 'home burns' ? If the answer to any
or all of these is "no", then the chances are that your laser has plenty of
life in it yet. If you can answer "yes" to any of them, then the first move
would be to clean it. If that cures it, then that's probably (mostly) all it
was, although if there is enough dust on the outside of the lens to cause a
problem, there's probably quite a bit on the internal optics as well. If
cleaning does not fix it, or only 'improves' it, then chances are that your
laser is not too much longer for this world ...

Hope that helps

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

Changing for better Dac, changing the I/V op amp, and few other things, It
just that I don't want to do that to see the cd player laser to die after
few other months.

I'm not into the golden-eared modifications, truth be said, I'm half deaf so
it's all wasted on me, however:

Aren't there pro-level CD players for this?
Or are the mods a cheaper way of doing it?

Honestly, I don't see any mod making a huge difference, is this for some
specific purpose where the analogue reproduction is more important than just
trying to impress friends with music they couldn't tell the difference on anyway?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Hello

Pro-level cd player are to costly, the mods are much cheaper or i may use
the spdif out ans another Dac.

Gaetan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

Pro-level cd player are to costly, the mods are much cheaper or i may use
the spdif out ans another Dac.

Ok, then wouldn't it make sense to use SPDIF? You at least get a choice on
CD player, and in the event of failure, just replace the player.

You're stuck of course till the end of life of the SPDIF interface, or
failure of equipment whichever comes first, but that's going to be some time
into the future, so why worry?
By the time that happens, it will likely be near the end of life of the
Redbook CD standard anyway, and you would be better inclined to move to
whatever the next whizz-bang standard is.

Unless I'm missing something?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

Pro-level cd player are to costly, the mods are much cheaper or i may use
the spdif out ans another Dac.

Ok, then wouldn't it make sense to use SPDIF? You at least get a choice on
CD player, and in the event of failure, just replace the player.

You're stuck of course till the end of life of the SPDIF interface, or
failure of equipment whichever comes first, but that's going to be some time
into the future, so why worry?
By the time that happens, it will likely be near the end of life of the
Redbook CD standard anyway, and you would be better inclined to move to
whatever the next whizz-bang standard is.

Unless I'm missing something?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Hello

Yes, I did think of using SPDIF, I even think of using a good cd rom
drive since they have better mechanic.

Gaetan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

[...]

That's highly debateable ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

[...]

Why using a cdrom drive are debateable ?

Thank

Gaetan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

[...]

I didn't say that there was any problem *using* one - only that it is
debateable as to whether there is any improvement in quality over a
'conventional' drive. I see many many CD and DVD players for repair, and a
good deal of these use pre-built OEM drives in them of exactly the type that
you would find in a computer ie with an IDE interface. They seem to suffer
deck related problems just as much as players fitted with 'conventional'
drives. I also don't think that they are particularly any more long-lived in
computers, than they are when used in HiFis.

If you wanted a player to modify whose laser and deck was going to last for
ever, then you could do a lot worse than one of the Pioneers from a few
years back. Although they used to suffer from a bad spindle motor after very
prolongued use, this item was quick, cheap and easy to replace. On the other
hand, I can't remember replacing more than one or two lasers in Pioneers
since they were first building CD players.

I would have thought that the way to go if you really wanted to experiment
with a better DAC, was via the SPDIF or co-ax outputs from a conventional
player. What comes out of there is data, is data, is data, basically just as
it rolls off the disc. I seem to recall that the magazine Elektor
Electronics have done a couple of external high quality DAC construction
projects in the last couple of years. Go have a look on their website, where
they have all of the articles archived and catalogued for search.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

I didn't say that there was any problem *using* one - only that it is
debateable as to whether there is any improvement in quality over a
'conventional' drive. I see many many CD and DVD players for repair, and a
good deal of these use pre-built OEM drives in them of exactly the type
that you would find in a computer ie with an IDE interface. They seem to
suffer deck related problems just as much as players fitted with
'conventional' drives. I also don't think that they are particularly any
more long-lived in computers, than they are when used in HiFis.

They probably were better made back when they cost $600, but now you can buy
a fast CD-ROM drive brand new for under 20 bucks, and a dual layer DVD
burner for under $40, they've hit rock bottom commodity status.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

John Tserkezis ) writes:
Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

[...]

Ok, I will take a look at the Elektor web site.

Thank

Gaetan

denon 3 disk cd player john999 UK diy 1 June 16th 06 12:33 PM
Denon CD Player/Receiver UD-M5 ibbotsnm Electronics Repair 3 June 11th 05 02:50 AM
Denon DCD-1450 laser measurements, TE, FE servos m127 Electronics Repair 1 April 14th 05 03:07 PM
Denon DCM - 320 CD Player GD Electronics Repair 2 November 12th 04 11:55 AM
Denon CD-player question Stefan Toftevall Electronics Repair 2 November 10th 04 11:09 AM