Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Default hooking 2 playstation controllers together

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers. I
want the digital pot controllers (mini joysticks) from one controller
and the button configuration for the other. I don't want the
controllers physically combined just functionally. I tried cutting the
cords on the both controllers and splicing them together into one
plug. When I tried to use the controller they were completely dead.

I am a pretty sure that the solder joints on the splices were good and
the wires on the two controllers seemed to follow the same color
scheme though one of the controllers had one more wire which I hooked
to the correct pin-out. I used a lead free silver solder with no flux
but the contacts seemed good.

My best guesses as to why it does not work a

1) The PlayStation does not put out enough power for both controllers.

2) The controller put out digital instead of analogue signals and they
are interfering with each-other.

Does anybody know why this attempt failed or have a suggestion as to
how I can get the joysticks on one controller to work with the buttons
on a separate controller. I only have basic equipment and a small
budget but there is a good electronics store and a radioshack in
driving distance.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

" wrote:

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers.

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

"Eeyore" wrote in message

" wrote:

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers.

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking
your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the
countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example
?

Graham

How is it any worse than your lifetime fulfilment of writing useless
comments in sci.electronics.*?

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
Bob Bob is offline

"Jon Slaughter" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote:

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking
your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the
countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example
?

Graham

How is it any worse than your lifetime fulfilment of writing useless
comments in sci.electronics.*?

OUCH! I haven't seen a beating like that since Rodney King.

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

"Bob" wrote in message

"Jon Slaughter" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote:

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking
your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the
countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for
example ?

Graham

How is it any worse than your lifetime fulfilment of writing useless
comments in sci.electronics.*?

OUCH! I haven't seen a beating like that since Rodney King.

I guess I better be careful then or he might sue me for defamation of
character...

Oh nevermind!!! I just found a nickle on the floor. I'm sure that will cover
any damage I could do.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

wow , imagine if everyone thought like you !!!!! so what if i, he plays
playstation, ????everybody does everything differant.
maybe he does go bike riding , or reaDS literATuRE , AND PLAYS
PLAYSTATION , gadzooks , bet you never thought of that u ****.

"Eeyore" wrote in message

" wrote:

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers.

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking
your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the
countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example
?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Jon Slaughter wrote:

I guess I better be careful then or he might sue me for defamation of
character...

Wouldn't that be "Delamination of a donkey"?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

you can't just hook 2 together like that

As far as I am aware, there are clock and data lines. The pad is
intelligent. It decodes which button is pressed and sends a signal back.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

you can't just hook 2 together like that

As far as I am aware, there are clock and data lines. The pad is
intelligent. It decodes which button is pressed and sends a signal back.

That's right on. The fact that there are so many buttons on the
controller yet so few pins on its connector should be some indication
that data is being serialized instead of read directly. As far as I'm
aware, the last time potentiometers in controllers were read directly
over the line was in pre-NES times (think PONG paddles).

M2C
PSM
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

On Jul 18, 7:40 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
" wrote:
I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers.

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example ?

Graham

Lol, I read about a novel a week. I read Jane Eyre Last week,. I am
reading a scifi novel this week. I will start on war and peace in
about a week. The reason I wan't to hook the two playstions together
is because I have an idea for a new piece of exercise equipment. I
don't actually play with a playstaion very often. It is my nephews.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

On Jul 19, 1:56 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

intelligent. It decodes which button is pressed and sends a signal back.- Hide quoted text -

So on the pad the buttons are not simple switch closures? The next
thing I was going to try is splicing the pad button output to the hand
controller connections. I know that the hand controller buttons are
simple switch closures because a ling time ago I created my own pad
controller before they became commercially availble.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

On Jul 19, 4:40 am, Eeyore
wrote:
" wrote:
I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers.

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile
endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking your
life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the countryside or
even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example ?

Graham

We are here to *HELP* people, not dissuade them into doing thisese
projects.
And most people who do electronics do already have expanded minds in
order to do this stuff, thanks.
And BTW, i also ride my bicycle.