Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] michalchik@aol.com is offline

Default hooking 2 playstation controllers together

On Jul 19, 1:56 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers. I
want the digital pot controllers (mini joysticks) from one controller
and the button configuration for the other. I don't want the
controllers physically combined just functionally. I tried cutting the
cords on the both controllers and splicing them together into one
plug. When I tried to use the controller they were completely dead.

I am a pretty sure that the solder joints on the splices were good and
the wires on the two controllers seemed to follow the same color
scheme though one of the controllers had one more wire which I hooked
to the correct pin-out. I used a lead free silver solder with no flux
but the contacts seemed good.

My best guesses as to why it does not work a

1) The PlayStation does not put out enough power for both controllers.

2) The controller put out digital instead of analogue signals and they
are interfering with each-other.

Does anybody know why this attempt failed or have a suggestion as to
how I can get the joysticks on one controller to work with the buttons
on a separate controller. I only have basic equipment and a small
budget but there is a good electronics store and a radioshack in
driving distance.

you can't just hook 2 together like that

As far as I am aware, there are clock and data lines. The pad is
intelligent. It decodes which button is pressed and sends a signal back.- Hide quoted text -

So on the pad the buttons are not simple switch closures? The next
thing I was going to try is splicing the pad button output to the hand
controller connections. I know that the hand controller buttons are
simple switch closures because a ling time ago I created my own pad
controller before they became commercially availble.