Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help identify flameproof resistor

With the help of online blogs I've been trying to fix my Panasonic my pt-
47wx49e rear projection TV. I replaced two STK 392-110 as convergence amps
and I found a blown resistor. The problem I have now is being able to
order a replacement resistor. From what I've learned, it is a flameproof
resistor. It's light blue, is marked 2.2 ohms, the only other markings are
a J, and a 0, 8 and 9. I guess the only other info I need is the voltage
so I'm asking here for help. I have the schematics that a kind soul at
techlore sent to me but I dont understand it. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Coburn wrote:

With the help of online blogs I've been trying to fix my Panasonic my pt-
47wx49e rear projection TV. I replaced two STK 392-110 as convergence amps
and I found a blown resistor. The problem I have now is being able to
order a replacement resistor. From what I've learned, it is a flameproof
resistor. It's light blue, is marked 2.2 ohms, the only other markings are
a J, and a 0, 8 and 9. I guess the only other info I need is the voltage
so I'm asking here for help. I have the schematics that a kind soul at
techlore sent to me but I dont understand it. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

You don't need a voltage rating for such a low value resistor. The voltage
across it will be limited by dissipation.

J is the tolerance. (5%).

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Coburn wrote:

OK, is there a way to determine the wattage from the markings?

None whatever. You can sort of determine it from size though !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I see. I can measure it when I get home from work, but is there a general
guideline? I've looked online for some sort of measuring guide but haven't
had much luck. Thanks for your help. As you can probably tell, I'm in way
over my head and if this doesn't get the TV working again, I'll end up
replacing it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Coburn wrote:

I see. I can measure it when I get home from work, but is there a general
guideline?

Compare the size with what's available.

Graham