Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba 42H82: No picture, sound ok

I have a 6 year old Toshiba 42H82 RPTV. It served us well with good
picture quality. However, two days ago, when we turned it on, we saw a
very bright picture for a few seconds, some sound ("poof")" and then
the screen went blank.
We still have sound and the TV reacts to the remote (e.g. mute,
different channels).
I unplugged it over night hoping for a (software) reset but this
wasn't it.
I understand it's difficult to diagnose this with a simple email
message but maybe sombody out there can give me a hint. For what it's
worth, I do have access to a reasonably well equipped electronics shop
and the 42H82 service manual can be obtained on ebay.

If I can't fix this myself, is it worth the $100 to have a TV tech
come and look at the set (and then pay for the actual repair) give
that my TV is already 6 years old. By the way, what's the typical MTBF
of these CRT RPTV's?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Need to have a qualified "Poof" inspector to determine what, in addition to
the service call, it will cost to resurect your Toshiba. May have been a
failure in the audio, registration, power, or deflection circuits. There are
probably fuse devices, when checked, may point the qualified technician to
the correct circuit(s) that need repair.
ups.com...