Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to replace connector?

I have a circuit board with a surface mounted s-video connector.

The solder connections all look good, so perhaps the insides of the
connector are damaged.

Anyway, I'd like to get another surface mounted s-video connector and I'm
looking through Digi-Key's 2007 catalog, but there does not seem to be a way
to find anything on s-video.

How would I find this? Is the connector called something more cryptic (like
SB07-J connector)? It looks like all of the connectors would be in section
A, but that is a very large section!

FYI: I am a software developer, so I don't hunt down electronics very often.
All I need is one s-video connector to repair a board on my receiver at
home. So, if there is a better way to go about this, I am all ears!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"jp2express" wrote:

snip
Anyway, I'd like to get another surface mounted s-video connector and I'm
looking through Digi-Key's 2007 catalog, but there does not seem to be a way
to find anything on s-video.

How would I find this? Is the connector called something more cryptic (like
SB07-J connector)? It looks like all of the connectors would be in section
A, but that is a very large section!

Assuming this is the standard S-video connector, what you want is a 4
conductor "mini DIN" circular connector; in the PDF I have (from a
couple of months ago, maybe) it's pages 342-343. For some reason,
they're indexed under connectors -- circular -- mini-DIN, but not
under connectors -- mini-DIN or just mini-DIN.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks Mr. Erickson!

I spent a couple of hours yesterday going through section A. I had to go
slow to make sure my eyes did not start glazing over after looking at the
same things over and over.

In my catalog, I was able to find them on page 374 (T072).

For future knowledge, how did you find this? I never would have thought to
have called it a "mini DIN" and the catalog is huge! There has got to be a
way to search this book, but it does not even appear to have an index other
than the basic sections (Section A is 459 pages).

"Andrew Erickson" wrote:

Assuming this is the standard S-video connector, what you want is a 4
conductor "mini DIN" circular connector; in the PDF I have (from a
couple of months ago, maybe) it's pages 342-343. For some reason,
they're indexed under connectors -- circular -- mini-DIN, but not
under connectors -- mini-DIN or just mini-DIN.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jp2express wrote:

Thanks Mr. Erickson!

I spent a couple of hours yesterday going through section A. I had to go
slow to make sure my eyes did not start glazing over after looking at the
same things over and over.

In my catalog, I was able to find them on page 374 (T072).

For future knowledge, how did you find this? I never would have thought to
have called it a "mini DIN" and the catalog is huge! There has got to be a
way to search this book, but it does not even appear to have an index other
than the basic sections (Section A is 459 pages).

It was a mini DIN connector long before it was chosen to be used for
's-video'

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Software guys like me aren't so good at that.

So, what would one of those small microphone jacks be called?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

It was a mini DIN connector long before it was chosen to be used for
's-video'

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jp2express" wrote in message
et...
Software guys like me aren't so good at that.

So, what would one of those small microphone jacks be called?

I think you are refering to a 1/8" phone jack. They are called this because
the 1/4" ones were originally used on telephone switchboards.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

"jp2express" wrote in message
et...
Software guys like me aren't so good at that.

So, what would one of those small microphone jacks be called?

I think you are refering to a 1/8" phone jack. They are called this
because the 1/4" ones were originally used on telephone switchboards.

Oh and BTY just for info. A common DIN connector is an AT keyboard plug and
a Mini DIN is a PS/2 keyboard plug. Those are two common computer connectors
you might be familar with.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Oh and BTY just for info. A common DIN connector is an AT keyboard plug and
a Mini DIN is a PS/2 keyboard plug. Those are two common computer connectors
you might be familar with.

Those are to FAMILIES of DIN connectors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jp2express wrote:

Software guys like me aren't so good at that.

So, what would one of those small microphone jacks be called?

There are two sizes:

1/8" or 3/32" in the US
3.5 mm or 2.5 mm in metric places.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:

Oh and BTY just for info. A common DIN connector is an AT keyboard plug
and
a Mini DIN is a PS/2 keyboard plug. Those are two common computer
connectors
you might be familar with.

Those are to FAMILIES of DIN connectors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

That is what I meant. I guess I should have worded that better.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Oh and BTY just for info. A common DIN connector is an AT keyboard plug
and
a Mini DIN is a PS/2 keyboard plug. Those are two common computer
connectors
you might be familar with.

Those are to FAMILIES of DIN connectors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

That is what I meant. I guess I should have worded that better.

Mike

My intent was to convey that the s-video mini din was not the only type of
din connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gotcha! LOL

"Michael Kennedy" went on and one with:

My intent was to convey that the s-video mini din was not the only type of
din connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Oh and BTY just for info. A common DIN connector is an AT keyboard plug
and
a Mini DIN is a PS/2 keyboard plug. Those are two common computer
connectors
you might be familar with.

Those are to FAMILIES of DIN connectors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

That is what I meant. I guess I should have worded that better.

Mike

My intent was to convey that the s-video mini din was not the only type of
din connector.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure it was clear to the OP. :-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida