Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A really stupid (yet annoying) problem with my OS.

Hey Guys,

I have this weird problem. My laptop's only OS (Windows 2k3) crashed.
Now normally, I would have popped the Windows CD and recovered or
reinstalled the OS. But my laptop's CD drive is not working. My laptop
is a 3 year old Acer (AMD sempron 3000+, 512, 40GB, onboard SIS)
Now I had a genius idea of removing the hard drive of this laptop and
put it in my other laptop (with working CD drive) and install the OS
there (Windows again), and then put the hard drive back in my old
laptop. (The plan obviously didn't work as the OS attaches itself to
the processor... i suppose) (and my other laptop is an intel)

Now how can I install OS in laptop. (I have heard that we can install
OS through network, but I am not sure if my laptop supports it),
anyways, is there any OS which can be installed on the intel machine
but will still work on my AMD laptop?

(My C: is clean and formatted and I would install any OS on it if it
later allows me to install Windows or Linux)

Thanks in advance