Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need sony spindle motor rf-300f-12350

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message news:...

"dpf923" wrote in message

my sony dvp-ns41p dvd player from costco stopped working after about 14
months with a "can't read this disc" type of message and after taking
the top of I could see the disc was not turning. I gave the disc a
little push and off it went but only for a minute or so, then when I
tried pushing it again it would not move. I disconnected the motor
terminals from the board and ohmed it out. It read's as an open circuit
so I figure the motor is shot. I removed the motor and the label reads

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 13.0

I went to the mabuchi motor web site and I can see lots of spindle
motors but not this one. The closest seems to be the rf-300fa-12350
which is a 1.5V to 6.0V motor. I also found some web pages on how to
transplant new brushes into this motor from a donor motor. Since my
motor is toast anyway I took the back off following the procedure and
could see that they teeeny little brushes were worn to a nub. Problem
is I don't have a donor motor handy so I keep looking for a
replacement. It seems from the mabuchi web site that maybe this motor
isn't sold on the open market but only to sony. It seems so poorly made
that sony must have begged them to squeeze every last cent out of the
poor little thing.

When I google the part number I do finds some potential suppliers.
One is Impel electronic spare parts. They say that they have imported
spare parts from Singapore for the Polish market up to 2005 and since
then have opened an E-store for the EC and will sell this motor for
3.09 Euros. I'm a little bit concerned however because they have a
photo of the motor on their web site and the label on the motor reads:

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 5.9

The D/V number 5.9 does not match the 13.0 on my motor so I wonder if
this is really the right replacement motor.

Another supplier is mat electronics, They describe this part number as
working with SONY DVP NS325/425 and Philips DVP 642 as a HIGH FAILURE
PART! I believe the HIGH FAILURE PART! On the Mat web site they show a
photo that looks like the correct motor but the label is fuzzed out so
you can't really read if this is a mabuchi motor or not and I can't
read the D/V number from the picture. I emailed them and Mike says that
he can't say anything more than it's a 12V motor and will work with the
listed models.
the price is 3.95 + 2.00(handling) + 6.50(shipping) about 12.50 without
tax.
Well my model wasn't one of the listed models so I'm a little
concerned.

If this were the real deal I would buy it. has anyone else tired this
part? Is it
a real mabuchi motor and will I be able to use it as a replacement?

--
dpf923

Generally speaking, all of the motors are pretty much the same. If it looks
right, and has the terminals pins in the right place to fit the connector
PCB, then in my experience, it will work. Voltage is not normally the
issue.
The variation numbers usually come from different shaft lengths, but here's
the trick. Did you measure the turntable height carefully, before removing
it ? This setting is very *very* critical for correct operation on DVD
decks, which is why replacement spindle motors for DVD players, as opposed
to CD players, normally come prealigned on a sub-deck.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dpf923" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry all - itchy clicking finger !!

Arfa

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfa Daily
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"
wrote in message news:...

"dpf923"
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your reply. I had read lot's of post on this issue so I used an automotive feeler gauge and come up with 21mils for the distance between the deck and the piece that I removed from the shaft. When I put the new one in I'll use the same feeler gauge and keep my fingers crossed. I' ve also read the posts that say just about anything would work, especially when using donor parts from scrapped units. For the donors they are free anyway and if they didn't work for whatever reason no harm done. If I was going to order a new one and if more than one model were available new I figured I'd prefer to get the best match, if I could figure out which one that would be.

I had assummmed that the D/V 5.9 and the D/V 13.0 were referring to voltage. Like maybe the 5.9 and the 13.0 were the upper voltage limit and maybe the 5.9 unit was designed for a nominal 3V and the 13.0 might be designed for a nominal 6V.

I've seen photos of the rf-300f-12350 unit with the D/V 5.9 and my unit has the D/V 13.0 so then I thought maybe this isn't a voltage rating at all.

If I don't here anything else on the issue I'll spend my 10 bucks and report back on what happened

dave