Junior Member

Default Need sony spindle motor rf-300f-12350

my sony dvp-ns41p dvd player from costco stopped working after about 14 months with a "can't read this disc" type of message and after taking the top of I could see the disc was not turning. I gave the disc a little push and off it went but only for a minute or so, then when I tried pushing it again it would not move. I disconnected the motor terminals from the board and ohmed it out. It read's as an open circuit so I figure the motor is shot. I removed the motor and the label reads

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 13.0

I went to the mabuchi motor web site and I can see lots of spindle motors but not this one. The closest seems to be the rf-300fa-12350 which is a 1.5V to 6.0V motor. I also found some web pages on how to transplant new brushes into this motor from a donor motor. Since my motor is toast anyway I took the back off following the procedure and could see that they teeeny little brushes were worn to a nub. Problem is I don't have a donor motor handy so I keep looking for a replacement. It seems from the mabuchi web site that maybe this motor isn't sold on the open market but only to sony. It seems so poorly made that sony must have begged them to squeeze every last cent out of the poor little thing.

When I google the part number I do finds some potential suppliers.
One is Impel electronic spare parts. They say that they have imported spare parts from Singapore for the Polish market up to 2005 and since then have opened an E-store for the EC and will sell this motor for 3.09 Euros. I'm a little bit concerned however because they have a photo of the motor on their web site and the label on the motor reads:

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 5.9

The D/V number 5.9 does not match the 13.0 on my motor so I wonder if this is really the right replacement motor.

Another supplier is mat electronics, They describe this part number as working with SONY DVP NS325/425 and Philips DVP 642 as a HIGH FAILURE PART! I believe the HIGH FAILURE PART! On the Mat web site they show a photo that looks like the correct motor but the label is fuzzed out so you can't really read if this is a mabuchi motor or not and I can't read the D/V number from the picture. I emailed them and Mike says that he can't say anything more than it's a 12V motor and will work with the listed models.
the price is 3.95 + 2.00(handling) + 6.50(shipping) about 12.50 without tax.
Well my model wasn't one of the listed models so I'm a little concerned.

If this were the real deal I would buy it. has anyone else tired this part? Is it
a real mabuchi motor and will I be able to use it as a replacement?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--
dpf923

try putting another DVD in it. Like the one I just got where a fat boy
is screaming and crying while being beaten with a baton.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dpf923" wrote in message

[...]

Generally speaking, all of the motors are pretty much the same. If it looks
right, and has the terminals pins in the right place to fit the connector
PCB, then in my experience, it will work. Voltage is not normally the issue.
The variation numbers usually come from different shaft lengths, but here's
the trick. Did you measure the turntable height carefully, before removing
it ? This setting is very *very* critical for correct operation on DVD
decks, which is why replacement spindle motors for DVD players, as opposed
to CD players, normally come prealigned on a sub-deck.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:01:40 +0100, dpf923
put finger to keyboard and composed:

my sony dvp-ns41p dvd player from costco stopped working after about 14
months with a "can't read this disc" type of message and after taking
the top of I could see the disc was not turning. I gave the disc a
little push and off it went but only for a minute or so, then when I
tried pushing it again it would not move. I disconnected the motor
terminals from the board and ohmed it out. It read's as an open circuit
so I figure the motor is shot. I removed the motor and the label reads

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 13.0

I went to the mabuchi motor web site and I can see lots of spindle
motors but not this one. The closest seems to be the rf-300fa-12350
which is a 1.5V to 6.0V motor.

I'd locate the motor driver chip. If your player is anything like the
ones I've seen, then this IC should be near the cables that go to the
DVD loader. I'd then locate the datasheet for this chip and determine
the motor's maximum possible voltage rating from that. Another way
would be to find this chip's supply pin(s) and use a multimeter to
trace it back to a labelled power connector. If the chip is powered
solely from a 5V supply, then a 6V motor will definitely be OK. If the
supply is 12V, or 12V and 5V, then a 6V motor *may* still be OK ... if
the chip's output is limited by the external logic. Something else you
could check are the specs of the sled and tray motors. These motors
would be powered from the same chip, although not necessarily from the
same supply rail.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
[...]

The motor supply voltage - often designated "+M" or "M+" is very typically
8v on all players

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:18:23 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I couldn't find the circuits for the subject player, but here is the
service manual for another Sony player:

http://mavelec11.free.fr/schemas/Son...05_410_415.pdf

It uses a FAN8034L motor control IC. This IC has three rails, SVCC
(+5V), PVCC1 (+11V), and PVCC2 (+11V). In the absence of a datasheet,
I assume that SVCC powers the logic and PVCCx powers the motors and
tracking/focus coils.

OTOH, I have a Sunplus reference circuit that shows a typical BA5954
motor controller with all three rails connected to +5V.

Here is a Cheertek reference design with all three rails connected to
+5V:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/DVD/Cheertek/

- Franc Zabkar