Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Need sony spindle motor rf-300f-12350

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:01:40 +0100, dpf923
put finger to keyboard and composed:

my sony dvp-ns41p dvd player from costco stopped working after about 14
months with a "can't read this disc" type of message and after taking
the top of I could see the disc was not turning. I gave the disc a
little push and off it went but only for a minute or so, then when I
tried pushing it again it would not move. I disconnected the motor
terminals from the board and ohmed it out. It read's as an open circuit
so I figure the motor is shot. I removed the motor and the label reads

mabuchi
rf-300f-12350
D/V 13.0

I went to the mabuchi motor web site and I can see lots of spindle
motors but not this one. The closest seems to be the rf-300fa-12350
which is a 1.5V to 6.0V motor.

I'd locate the motor driver chip. If your player is anything like the
ones I've seen, then this IC should be near the cables that go to the
DVD loader. I'd then locate the datasheet for this chip and determine
the motor's maximum possible voltage rating from that. Another way
would be to find this chip's supply pin(s) and use a multimeter to
trace it back to a labelled power connector. If the chip is powered
solely from a 5V supply, then a 6V motor will definitely be OK. If the
supply is 12V, or 12V and 5V, then a 6V motor *may* still be OK ... if
the chip's output is limited by the external logic. Something else you
could check are the specs of the sled and tray motors. These motors
would be powered from the same chip, although not necessarily from the
same supply rail.

- Franc Zabkar