Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Microwave schematic

Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and schematics
actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so where might I
acquire such material?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 2, 6:54 pm, "Silver Surfer" wrote:
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and schematics
actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so where might I
acquire such material?

Most microwaves have a schematic on the inside of the metal outside
cover.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Silver Surfer wrote:
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and
schematics actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so
where might I acquire such material?

What's wrong with it? Microwaves are pretty much all about the same inside.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet writes:

Silver Surfer wrote:
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and
schematics actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so
where might I acquire such material?

What's wrong with it? Microwaves are pretty much all about the same inside.

Unless it's one of the inverter designs, in which case may be
no schematic available. Troubleshoot like a switchmode power supply.

Or, of course, the control board.

So, what is wrong with it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've looked at just about every conceivable location inside and outside the
cabinet but have not located a schematic.

It's my daughter's microwave. Complaint was that it keeps shutting down
shortly after starting to heat something. Problem has been around awhile
but kept getting progressively worse until now it's just about useless to
cook something.

Brought it home with me. Tried it out. Worked perfectly quite a number of
times. Took it apart just to look for something that could be causing an
intermittent. Found nothing. Put it back together. Oops. Problem back
with a vengeance.

Tore it apart again. Checked lots of connections and TCOs with my ohmmeter.
Examined circuit board with a high intensity light and a magnifying glass.
Nothing turned up.

Unplugged the HV transformer primary and put it through its paces.
Everything worked flawlessly(except the heat of course).

Connected the HV transformer again. Voila. It's working normally again!
My concern is that it will go back into the failure mode sooner or later,
because no smoking gun has shown up.

When it was acting up it made me suspect that the board was losing power
because when it shut off the digital display required me to enter the time
and date just like it does after it's unplugged.

An aside to Mr. Goldwasser:

Your excellent article on microwave repair has been an enormous help to me.
Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge with the rest of us.

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and
schematics actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so
where might I acquire such material?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Silver Surfer" writes:

I've looked at just about every conceivable location inside and outside the
cabinet but have not located a schematic.

It's my daughter's microwave. Complaint was that it keeps shutting down
shortly after starting to heat something. Problem has been around awhile
but kept getting progressively worse until now it's just about useless to
cook something.

Brought it home with me. Tried it out. Worked perfectly quite a number of
times. Took it apart just to look for something that could be causing an
intermittent. Found nothing. Put it back together. Oops. Problem back
with a vengeance.

Tore it apart again. Checked lots of connections and TCOs with my ohmmeter.
Examined circuit board with a high intensity light and a magnifying glass.

Underneath I assume? It does sound like an intermitten connection but
an ohmmeter probably won't find it. Only a really close examination.

While highly unlikely, check or replace the fuse as well.

Nothing turned up.

Unplugged the HV transformer primary and put it through its paces.
Everything worked flawlessly(except the heat of course).

Connected the HV transformer again. Voila. It's working normally again!
My concern is that it will go back into the failure mode sooner or later,
because no smoking gun has shown up.

When it was acting up it made me suspect that the board was losing power
because when it shut off the digital display required me to enter the time
and date just like it does after it's unplugged.

An aside to Mr. Goldwasser:

Your excellent article on microwave repair has been an enormous help to me.
Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge with the rest of us.

Thanks.

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and
schematics actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so
where might I acquire such material?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mr. Plow,

The source for my experimentation is a household circuit with hardly
anything else plugged into it. It looks good on the meter.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:26:33 -0400, Silver Surfer wrote:

[...]

How is the source voltage?
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

I carry microwave service and parts manuals on my site at http://www.justmanuals.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You are exactly right in pointing out that the source could be a player.
Power to the microwave drops by about 4 volts when it's going full tilt
(that is when it decides to work for a while). Certainly a lesser circuit
could drop by much more than that.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Subject: Microwave schematic
From: "Silver Surfer"
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:19:55 -0400

Mr. Plow,

The source for my experimentation is a household circuit with hardly
anything else plugged into it. It looks good on the meter.

The source where the oven had problems is what I was after. And with the
oven running at full power. I've been working with these things for just
about as long as they were affordable to the general populace and I've
seen plenty of problems that were caused by a fault in the source voltage.
Mind you that's not my diagnosis but I just don't put the cart before the
horse in things that consume considerable current when operating.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One thing I've found very interesting about this problem. During my
Googling I came across more than a few posts on various sites mentioning
that their same model microwave was acting the same way as mine but would
work flawlessly when the screw is removed from the top of the control panel
and it is kind of cantilevered outward being supported by the two plastic
tangs at the bottom. All the wiring is still connected, but the panel is
tilted out at about a 45 degree angle from the case if you can picture this.
My microwave behaves exactly the same way. It does not fail to work in this
position.

Some have posited that a bad magnetron causes this behavior.

That brings a few questions to mind.

If it is a bad magnetron, what is bad about it? Does it leak microwaves
onto the board which then disrupt the operation of the solid state
components, but only when the board is in its normal position?

Is the "bad" magnetron causing a disturbance in the power supply which gets
conducted back into the board and disrupts the functions?

Are the wires acting as some kind of microwave antenna when the board is in
the normal position?

If there is stray microwave energy bombarding the board is there a simple
way to shield it?

What explanations do you have for the observed behavior?

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Silver Surfer" writes:

[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Folks,

My searching on Google has come up empty. Do service manuals and
schematics actually exist for a GE microwave oven JVM1650BH03? If so
where might I acquire such material?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Noticed something peculiar while wrestling with the microwave this evening.
My assumption is that the digital display is a vacuum fluorescent type.

With the board dismounted for close visual inspection I can see two little
metallic fingers connected to a one of the display's "pads" on the right
side. The fingers seem to be touching the inner surface of the glass.
There appears to be an identical arrangement on the left side of the
display; however, there is a circular blackened area on the inside of the
window where the left side fingers make contact.

Would this indicate a problem with the display, perhaps an internal
flashover, that could be causing the microwave to act as it does?

"Silver Surfer" writes:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Silver Surfer wrote:
Noticed something peculiar while wrestling with the microwave this
evening. My assumption is that the digital display is a vacuum
fluorescent type.

With the board dismounted for close visual inspection I can see two
little metallic fingers connected to a one of the display's "pads" on
the right side. The fingers seem to be touching the inner surface of
the glass. There appears to be an identical arrangement on the left side
of the display; however, there is a circular blackened area on the
inside of the window where the left side fingers make contact.

Every VFD display I've seen has a dark area like that. I think it's
where a 'getter' was used to remove any remaining free oxygen inside the
sealed glass envelope. You see them a lot on other vacuum tubes, too.
Basically a metal that oxidizes easily is placed inside the tube before
it's sealed, then once everything is sealed up it's heated somehow until
it vaporizes. It combines with any remaining oxygen inside the tube and
leaves a deposit on the inside of the glass.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwave service and parts manuals on my site at http://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 7, 1:31 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

--Serviceto my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I''ve got microwave oven manuals in Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

--Serviceto my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I''ve got microwave oven manuals in Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

Do they include controller schematics?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

I''ve got microwave oven manuals in Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

You still did not answer the question: DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL THEY
ASKED ABOUT? If so, why didn't you post a link directly to the page
listing it? Otherwise, you are simply another low life spammer wanting
people to browse your site, while you know damn well that they will not
find what they need.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

I''ve got microwave ovenmanualsin Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

You still did not answer the question: DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL THEY
ASKED ABOUT? If so, why didn't you post a link directly to the page
listing it? Otherwise, you are simply another low life spammer wanting
people to browse your site, while you know damn well that they will not
find what they need.

--Serviceto my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I don't know, I never saw the original post.

http://www.justmanuals.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

I''ve got microwave ovenmanualsin Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

You still did not answer the question: DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL THEY
ASKED ABOUT? If so, why didn't you post a link directly to the page
listing it? Otherwise, you are simply another low life spammer wanting
people to browse your site, while you know damn well that they will not
find what they need.

I don't know, I never saw the original post.

You use Google groups, and can't click on "Show thread" to see what
they want, so you just send them off, on a wild goose chase?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

I''ve got microwave ovenmanualsin Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

You still did not answer the question: DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL THEY
ASKED ABOUT? If so, why didn't you post a link directly to the page
listing it? Otherwise, you are simply another low life spammer wanting
people to browse your site, while you know damn well that they will not
find what they need.

I don't know, I never saw the original post.

You use Google groups, and can't click on "Show thread" to see what
they want, so you just send them off, on a wild goose chase?

I use the newsgroups through a newserver other than Google mostly.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

I carry microwaveserviceand partsmanualson my site athttp://www.justmanuals.com

So, do you actually have the manual, or are you just spamming?

I''ve got microwave ovenmanualsin Sharp, Samsung, Hitachi and a few
other brands.

You still did not answer the question: DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL THEY
ASKED ABOUT? If so, why didn't you post a link directly to the page
listing it? Otherwise, you are simply another low life spammer wanting
people to browse your site, while you know damn well that they will not
find what they need.

I don't know, I never saw the original post.

You use Google groups, and can't click on "Show thread" to see what
they want, so you just send them off, on a wild goose chase?

--

Who died and made you boss?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

justmanuals wrote:

Who died and made you boss?

Yawn. I see you've expanded the groups that you spam. I'm sure the
guys who restore 1930s radios can really use your microwave manuals.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

justmanuals wrote:

Who died and made you boss?

Yawn. I see you've expanded the groups that you spam. I'm sure the
guys who restore 1930s radios can really use your microwave manuals.

Your email speaks volumes about your character, and proves to me that
you are a spammer.

From: justmanuals
To: "Michael A. Terrell"
Date: Apr 11, 2007 5:16 PM
On Apr 10, 8:10 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
justmanuals wrote:

Who died and made you boss?

Yawn. I see you've expanded the groups that you spam. I'm sure

the
guys who restore 1930s radios can really use your microwavemanuals.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida