Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need some expert help with this rca Tru flat

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, stueyis wrote:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Do the bands move?

COOSN-266-06-25794

in a fixed image the bands do not move--they do move as the picture
brightness increases or decreases.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 23, 4:28 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:57:22 -0700, stueyis wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, stueyis wrote:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Do the bands move?

COOSN-266-06-25794

in a fixed image the bands do not move--they do move as the picture
brightness increases or decreases.

Odd, haven't seen one like this that I can recall. Hopefully someone will
chime in with a clue as this has sparked my curiosity.

You didn't try to manually degauss it did you?

COOSN-266-06-25794

No i tested the degaus circuit and it operated as it should. I also
replaced the "tv on a chip" IC thinking maybe the color signals have
been corrupted--made no difference. Trouble is I've never seen
anything like this so not sure where to start.

thx for looking though!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, wrote:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Looks like a bent shadow mask in the CRT. Set has probably been
dropped. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, wrote:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

It looks like it was dropped to me. The only other possibilities I
can think of are the degaussing circuit, or the yoke has moved back on
the neck.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
S S is offline

On Mar 23, 11:50 pm, Andy Cuffe wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, wrote:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

It looks like it was dropped to me. The only other possibilities I
can think of are the degaussing circuit, or the yoke has moved back on
the neck.
Andy Cuffe

So I read "bent shadow mask" as "tube is hopelessly fubared" :P --I'll
give the yoke a tug and see if its loose at all--doesn't appear to be
from what I recall but worth another look I guess. Thanks for the
feedback guys!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it
works but the colors are weird"

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4204/rcatruflatgx4.jpg

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming
up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure
mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when
its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light
the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Smack the face of the CRT with the palm of your hand. If the patterns
vibrate, then I'd suspect a damaged shadow mask.

- Franc Zabkar