Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Infinity Spkr Questions?

I picked up a pair of Infinity SM112's at an estate sale this morning. They
are in pretty civil shape but will have to refoam the woofers and already
have new foam ordered. I hooked them up briefly and they sound fine despite
the one woofer that has the damaged foam. I will also have to do something
with one tweeter that has a damaged foam dust cover and doubt I will find an
exact replacement.

My question is, would there be anything wrong with just using a piece of
flat thin foam similar to what the domed cover was made of or maybe a loose
weave fabric???
Any of you speaker gurus have any thoughts? RM~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The materials used for speakers are designed to have precise matched
acoustic properties. You should send the speaker drivers out to have
them rebuilt or to order new drivers from the manufacture rep.

If you want to go the cheap way, look on the net and find a place that
sells the foam kits for the speakers. These can be tricky to properly
install.

Jerry G.
======

On Feb 8, 1:10 am, "Rob Mills" wrote:
I picked up a pair of Infinity SM112's at an estate sale this morning. They
are in pretty civil shape but will have to refoam the woofers and already
have new foam ordered. I hooked them up briefly and they sound fine despite
the one woofer that has the damaged foam. I will also have to do something
with one tweeter that has a damaged foam dust cover and doubt I will find an
exact replacement.

My question is, would there be anything wrong with just using a piece of
flat thin foam similar to what the domed cover was made of or maybe a loose
weave fabric???
Any of you speaker gurus have any thoughts? RM~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message
ups.com...

foam kits for the speakers.

I have the kits for the woofers and don't see any problems there. What I am
concerned about is the foam dome shaped dust covers on the pollycell
tweeters. One is torn off but tweeter works fine. It looks like I could just
replace with a flat (no dome) piece of thin open foam or maybe even a piece
of loose woven fabric. Was more or less hoping to find someone who was
familiar with the Infinity pollycell tweeter that might have some other
solution or maybe even know of a source for an original dust cover. RM~

infinity radio goes out [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 13th 06 01:07 AM
Infinity Saw Blades Tom H Woodworking 3 November 7th 05 07:59 AM
Carrier Infinity vs Performance HVAC Quotes and Questions Me Home Repair 2 May 31st 05 12:12 PM
Carrier Infinity system operation questions (long post) John Home Repair 2 May 27th 05 08:50 PM
Infinity sub woofer Arthur Jernberg Electronics 0 August 2nd 03 04:18 PM